Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bought some limnophilia and so glosso dare I say. No idea how that will turn out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463236586.957227.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463236597.305954.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463236609.057181.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Also the fish are swimming in all sections of the tank now whereas before they would congregate at the right side pretty much all the time. This leads me too believe that the overall flow pattern is correct.

Edit: I've also ordered what I think is the right size inline atomiser. This means that the dissolved co2 will exit through each hole of the spray bar that travels the width of the tank.

I know but I love it really ?

I concur.
Really like how this has turned out and some useful changes and observations you have made here.
My fish huddle in the middle when I'm in the room. When they relax they explore the tank a bit. Time to break out the ninja outfit...

I concur.
Really like how this has turned out and some useful changes and observations you have made here.
My fish huddle in the middle when I'm in the room. When they relax they explore the tank a bit. Time to break out the ninja outfit...

I expect pics lol.

I notice the congo tetras are very flighty here. When they settle down much better to watch. Not sure if because they were bought from a local.

Thanks for the comments.

Here is the latest snap.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463419961.499963.jpg

The downoi is really coming along now. There's still some remnants of algae in there. Mainly hair now and a bit of BGA but no BBA. Due a water change tonight.

Unfortunately there is still something upsetting my female swordtail :(

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463420045.073002.jpg

Do you think it's possible for products like excel and easycarbo to accumulate over the course of the week? Taking in to consideration half life time, dosage and uptake rates?

Scratch that. It's nothing to do with the liquid co2, it's the injected co2. I don't know what the score is but the ph pen is only reading 7.1 only down a few points. How am I going to get round this issue with the swordtail.

I was thinking of splitting the co2. Saturating, switching off then topping up again throughout the day. I need to put the drop checker back in I think. Plants are loving it.

How's gh and kh?

Sounds like converted to CO2 injection?

Kh I haven't checked for a while. It's <3 without crushed coral in the filter and about 6 with. Gh is about 8dgh.

I was thinking about plant mass. As plant mass increases over time, so does the amount of co2 generated at night which could reduce the starting point of ph over time. If ph starting point is down before lights on then injection kicks in could this drive a lower ph over time?

Changed my co2 bottle over. Lost a bit of gas during the swap which was annoying but not a great deal. Noticed some bubbling around the regulator gauge using a leak detector spray. Very hard to spot fine bubbles but bubbles none the less. I just couldn't tighten the gauge anymore. There's just nothing to grip on to to get the leverage I need. Not overly happen with these co2art regulators having already sent one back. The leak must have been there on the old bottle because I didn't touch the gauge. It still lasted a few months. Gonna keep tabs on this one now to see how long I get out of it. If I'm not happy then I'm gonna stick some ptfe on it and tighten it back up.

In other news the correct inline atomiser arrived today so I'm looking forward to hooking that up tomorrow and getting more dissolved co2 more evenly distributed as it will be coming out of a spray bar.

Did a 50ish% water change and trimmed some dying Amazon sword leaves that have stuck around prior to the co2. Thinking of removing the vals as the liquid carbon I think is taking its toll. Not sure what to replace it with the at present.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

The val might adjust. I find the broad leaf vals adjust after dieback to quite high levels of glut.

I can't suggest pogo - all mine looks to have been eaten out :(

Added some Amano shrimp today. Backed off on glut and just seeing how the co2 is going. Managed to find a sweet spot with it where the swordtail and plants are happy. Drop checker only just changes greenish towards the end of tee photoperiod so I reckon I'm at about 15ppm or something. Should be enough.

Water change tomorrow and dowoi propagation.

Here is the view from my chair.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1463854455.391465.jpg

Think I need more reds though. Any suggestions?

I've used alternanthera before now but the red intensity dwindled. That was before I got the parameters where they are now mind so could give that another go.

Is that a viewing chair set up on the left?

I like the idea of red plants but unfortunately can't suggest any. Tank looks nice though.

Doesn't high iron make red plants more red. Idk lol butnice view caliban jus sit back and relax

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Not quite a viewing chair. It's just the sofa but I do like to sit there and watch.

Why does it never get boring looking in to a fish tank ?

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

I've noticed fine-leaf plants like foxtail will get purple tips on the plants if I dose more iron. Normally it's a solid green and looks quite nice to have the red colour, especially near the lights. If I overdose it goes a muddy brown colour which is not so great.

I totally agree, never boring watching the fish tank.

OMG I have been reading this thread and it's like a Jane Austin novel with lots of drama, twists and turns, and I am so hoping for a happy ending.

It's is very intimidating to read all the geek speak. I don't know if I will ever have the courage to add a plant to my tank ever again....

Haha it's not that bad. Some threads are up in the 1000's mark!

A lot has changed there's no denying that. Thank for reading.

Added some Amano shrimp today. Backed off on glut and just seeing how the co2 is going. Managed to find a sweet spot with it where the swordtail and plants are happy. Drop checker only just changes greenish towards the end of tee photoperiod so I reckon I'm at about 15ppm or something. Should be enough.

Water change tomorrow and dowoi propagation.

Here is the view from my chair.

View attachment 286908

Think I need more reds though. Any suggestions?

I've used alternanthera before now but the red intensity dwindled. That was before I got the parameters where they are now mind so could give that another go.

If you have enough light, CO2, and fertilizers, AR mini, Rotala macrandra, and Ludwigia sp. red are all options. Rotala macrandra is said to not like hard water, but I've been able to grow it before.

Back
Top Bottom