Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

We don't have a dishwasher but it will fit in a pot. The hours of tying the Java fern to it will have to be undone though haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ah yes I wouldn't want to undo that either haha ;) hopefully it sinks for you soon :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Last edited by a moderator:
One other point is that removing large plants, or numbers of plants removes filtration the tank was balancing with.

I have had a loss before- most recently - when I removed a huge 5' & 6' long "stems" of Elodia/Anacharis from my 6.6G (very overgrown) Edge tank and killed a bunch of shrimp!! A maxi - mini cycle.

Didn't even think of that as a consideration.

:( Sorry to hear that it happened to you. Change can be hard, even harder than we think it will be. It feels lousy.

It will be good. Your tank will get nice again.

Anymore I HATE making changes just for reasons like this. I have one I need to redo soon - it was a temporary holding tank situation which is now a year old because the new tank I bought was cracked and couldn't change the old one to the new one - so there it stayed.

One other point is that removing large plants, or numbers of plants removes filtration the tank was balancing with.

I have had a loss before- most recently - when I removed a huge 5' & 6' long "stems" of Elodia/Anacharis from my 6.6G (very overgrown) Edge tank and killed a bunch of shrimp!! A maxi - mini cycle.

Didn't even think of that as a consideration.

:( Sorry to hear that it happened to you. Change can be hard, even harder than we think it will be. It feels lousy.

It will be good. Your tank will get nice again.

Anymore I HATE making changes just for reasons like this. I have one I need to redo soon - it was a temporary holding tank situation which is now a year old because the new tank I bought was cracked and couldn't change the old one to the new one - so there it stayed.

Thanks Autumn. I lost a couple more fish. Tank seems to have stabilised a bit now as I have planted my plants. I went with the slate to hold the wood down and it worked a treat.

Planting is far from complete at the moment but co2 and ferts are going well. Got some nice Pearling tonight. I'll upload some pictures when I've finished planting. [emoji846]

I've learned a big lesson from this too.

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Glad to hear you got a solution to the driftwood wood! Would have been very frustrating. Can't wait to see the new look. Are u going with a nice relaxed set up like last time or u going more stems etc to keep u busy?

Glad to hear you got a solution to the driftwood wood! Would have been very frustrating. Can't wait to see the new look. Are u going with a nice relaxed set up like last time or u going more stems etc to keep u busy?

I've gone stem mad haha. Still more to add. Looking at AR mini but it's sold out. Also want some blyxa japonica and more s.repens.

The driftwood didn't sit the way I had intended but I think it actually looks better. Pics soon.

Whoo! Can't wait. Maybe fresh2o might be able to help u out with some ar mini? He's trimming it all the time.

I love stems for the fact it forces u to interact with the tank more ;) and u can't resist those growth rates!

Whoo! Can't wait. Maybe fresh2o might be able to help u out with some ar mini? He's trimming it all the time.

I love stems for the fact it forces u to interact with the tank more ;) and u can't resist those growth rates!

I agree and they allow for more colour too. I live in the U.K. So I'm not sure fresh will be able to help with that on haha.

So I have some of what I believe to be dwarf sag that has a bit of hair algae on it from before a started the co2 up again but it has turned pink as if I'd had spot treated with glut, which I haven't. So there can only be two possibilities. Chlorine from the 95% water change I did even though I put more than enough dechlorinator in according to the instructions or too much ammonia? I think it's the chloramines which also makes me wonder whether or not this has had a play in my fish deaths.

Very strange.

You are supposed to double dose to treat chloramines because they are more stubborn to break down, which is why they are used especially in hot areas where chlorine breaks down faster/less effective for drinking water, or could be bad batch of dechlorinator.

So I have some of what I believe to be dwarf sag that has a bit of hair algae on it from before a started the co2 up again but it has turned pink as if I'd had spot treated with glut, which I haven't. So there can only be two possibilities. Chlorine from the 95% water change I did even though I put more than enough dechlorinator in according to the instructions or too much ammonia? I think it's the chloramines which also makes me wonder whether or not this has had a play in my fish deaths.

Very strange.

I'd try and get as much of that hair algae off before u fire the co2 mine took me months to get rid of even with co2. I found it spread to everything and I had to trim the worst of it out and replant all my stems etc. it got so bad in my carpet that I had to ditch the whole lot. To be honest it would be worth cutting it out and tossing it if u can

You are supposed to double dose to treat chloramines because they are more stubborn to break down, which is why they are used especially in hot areas where chlorine breaks down faster/less effective for drinking water, or could be bad batch of dechlorinator.

Thanks Autumn. I have never studied my water quality report for chloramines and wouldn't even know what would be deemed a high value but I will definitely bare that in mind. I dosed way more than normal (for the whole tank) during my last water change including a filter clean. The water went cloudy for half a day and now it is clearer than ever.

Most towns in the US release an annual report of their water quality and impurities. I am not sure with the U.K. As when I lived there I was 2 lol. But if your town has a website should be located on their if they do the same.

Since prime is at least safe up to 5x the stated dosage by its label, I don't see the harm except to wallet in dosing 2x just to be safe.

Most towns in the US release an annual report of their water quality and impurities. I am not sure with the U.K. As when I lived there I was 2 lol. But if your town has a website should be located on their if they do the same.

Since prime is at least safe up to 5x the stated dosage by its label, I don't see the harm except to wallet in dosing 2x just to be safe.

Thanks. Prime is expensive here in the U.K. and so I've never used it. Wish I had it though for this transition period. It would have taken care of any ammonia build up as well as chlorine. I'm sure the chlorine or chloramines was the problem as I was injecting co2 and my ph was low enough to render any ammonia non toxic.

My water report doesn't say anything about chloramines, only chlorine and residual is on average 0.8mg/l. I changed probably about 160 litres of water which is about 128ppm of chlorine.

I normally dose the buckets as I fill them but I think I'm going to dose the whole tank from now on.

Well. I'm sad to say that this tank will be torn down at the weekend in favour of a new purchase.

I had a problem with the co2 at the weekend and there just isn't enough room to work round this tank where it is located (in between the chimney breast) it's been getting on my nerves for as long as I can remember. The tank has always had scratches on the front as it was second hand and there are a host of other benefits to downsizing too like water changes, improved flow using present filter, more substrate to build up, better access around the tank etc.

The tank I am going to look at at the weekend is the aquaopti 85 by Aquaone.

http://www.aqua-one-spare-parts.co....ss-aquarium-?gclid=CJGguMDt888CFbQK0wodNo0Iwg

I'll give a final farewell when I make the transition but thanks all for your continued interest and please look forward with me to my new build thread

[emoji846]

That's a sexy tank ban. Look forward to seeing the build. I've been in full lurk mode (evil laugh)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well darn. It sure was a nice tank. Oh well. Id love to have it but im in the usa so thats not really a feasible option for you. Cant wait to see the new one!

45b is a pretty big tank to look after. Can't wait to see the new one! Still going Eco instead of dirt? Will u be recycling the new tank or seeding it from the old one?

Look forward to seeing your progress and your new build ;)

That's a sexy tank ban. Look forward to seeing the build. I've been in full lurk mode (evil laugh)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is isn't it. Really like the look and it's pretty reasonable price. They do a 55 litre one too but that my be too high. Well thanks for taking the time
To lurk [emoji846] Brook.

Well darn. It sure was a nice tank. Oh well. Id love to have it but im in the usa so thats not really a feasible option for you. Cant wait to see the new one!

Thanks. I was taking it in slightly different direction but not the exact one I wanted to due to lack of substrate but now I will have enough.

IMG_1477333789.492111.jpg

45b is a pretty big tank to look after. Can't wait to see the new one! Still going Eco instead of dirt? Will u be recycling the new tank or seeding it from the old one?

Look forward to seeing your progress and your new build ;)

Compared to some it's still tiny but it's too big for me at present in this house.

Looking forward to the LED lighting and shallower tank. Still not sure if it will allow perfect access but has to be better.

I'll be using eco complete.

Back
Top Bottom