Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll want a 302 me thinks, that's what I have on my 30gal. Also have an hob and powerhead. You could always add a power head if needed. I think it will be perfect. You can have the spray bar span the back and sweep flow down and around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tried the long spray bar with my 302 and the flow was pretty low. I have a pretty full canister. [emoji848]

I ended up adding a circulation pump.

You'll want a 302 me thinks, that's what I have on my 30gal. Also have an hob and powerhead. You could always add a power head if needed. I think it will be perfect. You can have the spray bar span the back and sweep flow down and around.

I'll look in to it 85l is 22US gallon. It's really not a large body of water. I think this should be ok. I'm worried if I go too much it'll end up like a whirlpool.

I tried the long spray bar with my 302 and the flow was pretty low. I have a pretty full canister. [emoji848]

I ended up adding a circulation pump.

How large is this tank again. I remember you having issues. I dunno. This filter translates to about 1200lph. The JBL is only 250lph more. I think the test would be to see how the JBL lines up first to get an idea of what is going on.

Cal's Aquaopti 85L

How large is this tank again. I remember you having issues. I dunno. This filter translates to about 1200lph. The JBL is only 250lph more. I think the test would be to see how the JBL lines up first to get an idea of what is going on.

Mine is a 29g.

If I left the canister about 1/2 full of media the flow was better. But a girl loves her biomedia.

Mine is a 29g.

If I left the canister about 1/2 full of media the flow was better. But a girl loves her biomedia.

Interesting I've got 29gal with a 1200l an hour aqua one canister and it's almost too strong by itself. I'm also quite full of media. I'm guessing u run a lot of filter floss etc?

Interesting I've got 29gal with a 1200l an hour aqua one canister and it's almost too strong by itself. I'm also quite full of media. I'm guessing u run a lot of filter floss etc?

I have 3 trays and the bottom one is full of floss. The other 2 have biomedia and a bit of coral and purigen in bags.

I have 3 trays and the bottom one is full of floss. The other 2 have biomedia and a bit of coral and purigen in bags.

Ah yes I don't run any floss just bio noodles and sponge and 2 coarse sponges. Even without floss my clarity is decent. I'd run floss if I had a rimless but the tanks not a great looker to be honest (has a few scratches etc) so not too worried about being crystal clear.

To caliban: the aqua one 850 is a decent canister for the $$ completely silent operation too. I have one on the 120g and its filled to the rim with matrix so flow is actually pretty minimal. Id say it would be ideal for 85l as the spray bar only sprays about 15cm from the bar

Cal's Aquaopti 85L

Thanks to both. So it turns out you can control the flow of the JBL [emoji2] I just assumed you couldn't as there is no obvious control. Money saved!

Edit: also I can make the holes in the spraybar slightly larger to benefit from the flow rate without creating a tsunami.

Thanks to both. So it turns out you can control the flow of the JBL [emoji2] I just assumed you couldn't as there is no obvious control. Money saved!

Edit: also I can make the holes in the spraybar slightly larger to benefit from the flow rate without creating a tsunami.

Did you add a ball valve?

That's all I did ban, drilled more holes in a spiral pattern because I have a drill and I make holes in whatever I want muhahahahahha. No.. it made sense to me to send water all over rather than forward. Down the back glass and I still don't have a spot of algae on the back glass.

That's all I did ban, drilled more holes in a spiral pattern because I have a drill and I make holes in whatever I want muhahahahahha. No.. it made sense to me to send water all over rather than forward. Down the back glass and I still don't have a spot of algae on the back glass.

Sorry for robbing your thread so much caliban but this info is interesting! ;)

Did drilling more holes in the bar effect the flow rate much? The only spot I get algae these days is my back glass so I'd consider doing this myself. I'm worried the power of the filter might be too much and dig holes at the back of my tank.

Yah, it reduced flow. I oversized the existing holes as well. I can't see 6-8 extra holes of similar size, proportionately spaced having all that much effect

Did you add a ball valve?

I think there is one. I haven't added the canister yet. Will be tomorrow now. I'm just wondering how to mount the spraybar. Back to front or side to side. Side to side would mean the water would have to travel further and peter out more before it hits the glass.

Sorry for robbing your thread so much caliban but this info is interesting! ;)

Did drilling more holes in the bar effect the flow rate much? The only spot I get algae these days is my back glass so I'd consider doing this myself. I'm worried the power of the filter might be too much and dig holes at the back of my tank.

That's fine. That's what the thread is for.

The pump will still pump the same amount of water. The exit velocity at each hole will be reduced and so the water won't travel as far. Lengthening the spray bar will have the same effect.

That's s good idea. Interesting about the algae! I bought myself a drill recently to do odd jobs around the house. So far I've used it for drilling slate to driftwood and now drilling my spray bar. Go drill!

Careful not to go through the other side, it will pull itself into the plastic. Mind finger placement and God speed sir! If you really want to get fanatical you can get a wooden dowel to insert into the spray bar, this will ensure precision holes and less wandering from the bit. Not necessary but I know Caliban is precision oriented;) except when he spilled all that mb over his lady friends' parents floor... (thought we forgot huh)

Careful not to go through the other side, it will pull itself into the plastic. Mind finger placement and God speed sir! If you really want to get fanatical you can get a wooden dowel to insert into the spray bar, this will ensure precision holes and less wandering from the bit. Not necessary but I know Caliban is precision oriented;) except when he spilled all that mb over his lady friends' parents floor... (thought we forgot huh)

Methylene blue stains bad! Especially on beech effect laminate flooring...gulp!

No I'm as clumsy as they come and I'll openly admit it. Good idea with the dowel insert. Did I say I was lazy too...

JBL is going on when I get home later!

Where is my light fixture!

Methylene blue stains bad! Especially on beech effect laminate flooring...gulp!

No I'm as clumsy as they come and I'll openly admit it. Good idea with the dowel insert. Did I say I was lazy too...

JBL is going on when I get home later!

Where is my light fixture!

Interested to know the effects of drilling the spray bar so please keep me in the loop of how it goes ;) I don't want to drill a heap of holes and destroy my spray bar if flow is too crazy for the plants ;)

Interested to know the effects of drilling the spray bar so please keep me in the loop of how it goes ;) I don't want to drill a heap of holes and destroy my spray bar if flow is too crazy for the plants ;)

If you do this, start with a few holes, observe flow, and continue (or stop). You might be able to plug some of the holes with silicone in case you get drill happy.
Generally speaking: Don't boil your spray bar (some us us have not forgotten [emoji48])...

Back
Top Bottom