calling all ACF people!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am about to get 3 adult african clawed frogs from my Dad. Its funny because I actually got them for him 4 or 5 years ago thinking they were dwarf frogs (I now know better). Well, they have completely cleaned out his tank except for 3 large gouramis and I am about to be regifted with the frogs lol!!

I have for them a 33 gal tank. And some gravel. That's it. I know I will need to get them a filter (some kind of HOB I think) and a heater and some stuff for them to hide in and around. Unfortunately I am tight for cash right now so I will need to set them up for as cheap as possible.

Any suggestions for getting these guys into a home where they're appreciated?! I have never kept acfs before, but I am looking quite forward to it.

Ok...

Undergravel filter-minimal disturbance and noise-caves and weeds.

Dont be too sensitive with the water changes-they are used to crap conditions and too good conditions are unnatural.That does not mean neglect them though!

Pm me if you have any more questions...im tied for time this moment.

hornwort and other plants left unrooted will be appreciated by them. I would go with the hormwort though.

You could always go with a small HOB that is underated for the tank size. Aquaclear mini should do the trick. Just so they dont get stressed by currents.

Hmm... I didn't know they should have a ugf. In my dad's tank where they live now they have a hob. I am going to use his hob to jumpstart the cycle in the new tank.

How much light does hornwort need? This is the tank they are going in http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=86345&highlight=sucker I don't know how many watts it is set up for but I do know I won't be investing any more into it.

Also, I don't know what exactly is meant by noise-caves

I have my ACF with a HOB, if he is used to the HOB leave him with the HOB. Floating pennywort or hornwort will be appreciated. Mine hides quite a bit in the floating plants. I have a very bare minumum of pool filter sand covering the bottom of the tank. Not even 1/4". I do weekly water changes because I feel that good water conditions is a right for my fish and frog. My frog has one artifical cave and a colored tube to play in but he mostly likes the floating pennywort and hornwort.

ACF's, IMO, need a lot of filtration. I have read articles that say that they are as messy as goldfish, and after watching my ACF eat, I can totally believe it it. Get a filter that is rated for at LEAST 2 x the capacity of the tank. If it's a 33 gallon, you should target 66 gallons worth of filtration. it might seem like overkill, but your frogs will totally appreciate it. I have a 20 gallon filter on my 10 gallon ACF tank and I think Kermit is happy....I heard him singing a couple of nights ago. I thought it was crickets, but no, it was that nutty frog. I guess he was singing to the dwarf gourami. LOL He's alone in there with him. tee hee. ACF's are crazy......IMO

My parents have never heard these frogs sing. I really hope I can make them happy enough to sing for me!!! With 3 of them in a 33 gal would I have room to put a couple of larger fish in there with them? I know I have to be very careful with them though... (they ate their mollies :( )

Yeah, thay eat fish big time. My ACF, Kermit, has been living with a dwarf flame gourami, 'Bad Gourami', for almost a year now. Just pick fish that 'look' big. IE, tall bodies and totally fat. If they don't have flowing fins or anything else that the frog can cram in his mouth then you'll be okay. Think...big, peaceful fish. ;)

they do need a filter, but i just used a small 10 gallon filter for my 10 gallon tank.

i wouldnt get UGF if your feeding them bloodworms, as they'll get wasted

they are picky when it comes to hiding spots, but they apprecaite caves

Heavy filtration is a big no-no!

Yes-the water quality will be better and it will be more aesthetic for yourself but the frogs and their lateral lines will feel as if they have a powerdrill ringing in their ears permanently!

They do NOT like current.In the wild they do not live in streams with clear water-they live in bogs with murky water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom