calm fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amberO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
witch fish are calmer to look at or just calmer in general... tetras or guppies? or mollies?

From my experience mollies seem calm but I have had one Molly which was a right madam.

Tetras are calm but tend to have little squabbles every so often in there shoals

I've never kept guppies but have heard nothing about aggression.

platys are also very calm however I bought platys but had to return them the day after as they bullied my neons.

Watch male and female ratios. You should have : male 1:2 female
So double female to males

I have some gold pristella tetras and ember tetras that are peaceful. And I also had some black skirts and serpae tetras that were aggressive. I've also had some mollies that were mean. My guppies have all been peaceful. My two male cobra endlers are very peaceful and I like they're bright orange markings.

Male guppies CAN pick on other fish if its injured or something, and some can just be butts females don't bother anybody they just generally are not as colorful. Mollies are mostly peaceful, again though some males are just plain mean! For live bearers platies and swordtails are much more peaceful. I have a whole colony of endlers but that's all thats in that tank so I have nothing to compare them to! Lol there is do much variety with tetras though and they are so much fun to watch school:)

Small tetras such as neons, cardinals, and rummynose school and are peaceful. Rasboras are also good. Cory cats are fun and peaceful bottom dwellers. Threadfin rainbowfish and Hatchetfish also also good choices for upper level swimmers.

Just be sure to research which tetras you want as many of them are nippers.

+1 to what rivercats said, my serpae are some of the most aggressive tetras I have ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom