camallanus AGAIN!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A month or so back I euthanized my whole tank, after treating and treating for these worms, with no success. Before my QT tank (and now the reason I have one) I put the newly purchased molly in, and noticed noticed not even a hour later that it had worms. after researching I found out it was camallanus. I called the LFS, she just cant believe it and how she treated all hers with melafix and some aquarium salt.

jump forward to today, My freshly cleaned/sanitized, newly cycled tank is now home to camallanus worms AGAIN, from another fish purchased at that store. When I talked to her last time she said well none of my other fish have it and all the tanks run together, we at first QT the one off put "after treatment" opened it back up.... well the 2 different fish in question were purchased from same store, in tanks close in proximity (on the same system) but not the same tank.

I just dont know what to do. Im a new aquariust, and am feeling like this might just not be the hobby for me. I DONT have options for purchasing my fish besides the 2 LFS 1 hr away from me.

The life cycle of the camallanus worm is 6-12 wks or something like that, I havent even had it that long..... now the anal opening is enlarged and clear stringy poop with little red worm fibers hanging behind..... im assuming it came to me infected from the fish store? Its tank mate when purchased shows no signs yet.... Im just not sure what to do at this point. Euthanize and call it quits, treat and treat and MAYBE it'll cure then change species of fish??? does that make a difference... I have mollies and corydoras in my tank.... can corydoras get them??

I just want to cry... to top that I cant do much but sit and watch and worry about them I just had surgery and will be in a foot cast for another 5 weeks.. :sad:

Sorry about all the problems you've had. I remember your last issue. My advice would be to stop buying fish from that particular store. They obviously have a problem, whether they're admitting it or not.

Good news is corys seem to have a rougher time catching it than other fish. Our corys have stayed healthy through our issue with this worm.

I agree with Jonathan, stop buying fish there. Take it back, show her the worms and demand your money back.

Start hitting your tank with the Jungle tabs and feeding the remaining fish with whatever medication you still have left.

Thank you both. Do you know if mollies are more suseptable to these worms than other fish? say platies or tetras, etc.... I just want a fish tank with healthy fish, I dont have to have mollies I like them because birth and babies are exciting for me....

I think I will call the pet store im so NOT impressed! then take her the fish next time I go into the city

I called the LFS she said she would go check out her tanks right away and she doesn't understand because noone else has complained, yet she herself saw the worms on the fish the first time it happened, she said no need to bring It back we would "work something out" I don't want fish not right now and not from her, I have enough sick ones and if I can't gay this type of worm with other horsing fish maybe I'll try a different kind.....

In my experience, Live bearers have been more susceptible to the parasite. But, it can travel through pet stores sumps into other fish. I'm currently going through my first round of the nasty little buggers. I've treated my tank twice now with the jungle tabs, and I've seen little to no improvement. I'm giving honest thought to trying one of the other methods such as a panacur treatment. And about the worms life cycle being 6-12 days, I've heard they can lay dormant for up to two weeks in the substrate. (something on fishlore) and that after you euthanize your fish, you must treat the tank for three weeks, to be sure that the worms (in all life stages) are gone. I feel your pain!! I just don't want to loose over two hundred dollars worth of fish. I mean if at any time I feel that they're not eating right, or not looking right, I will certainly euthanize them, but until then I'd like to try everything in my power (without making it look like a science project obviously).

. And about the worms life cycle being 6-12 days, I've heard they can lay dormant for up to two weeks in the substrate. (something on fishlore) and that after you euthanize your fish, you must treat the tank for three weeks, to be sure that the worms (in all life stages) are gone. I feel your pain!! I just don't want to loose over two hundred dollars worth of fish. I mean if at any time I feel that they're not eating right, or not looking right, I will certainly euthanize them, but until then I'd like to try everything in my power (without making it look like a science project obviously).

I heard it was a 6-12 WEEK lifecycle..... I had no luck my first time around, and sanitzied my tank and started from scratch.... :( my tank just got cycled again when I noticed this fish with it yet again.... Im waiting on a call back from a fish support person who has a marine biologist friend who may be able to help me,.... Ive tried it all including the panacur the last time around..... so im not sure yet what im going to do... all I know is they are my worst nightmare!!

Levimosole would be my next choice. Pig dewormer. That's what I'm after now, in my area, it's hard to get ahold of, and when you go ask a vet they say no, because it's for fish?

Levimosole would be my next choice. Pig dewormer. That's what I'm after now, in my area, it's hard to get ahold of, and when you go ask a vet they say no, because it's for fish?

Do you have a Petsmart nearby? We were there today getting stuff for our dogs when my hubby looked at the dog dewormers, found a wormer that was 22.2% fenbendazole granules. There's another that has fenbendazole and something else, don't get that one, just the one with fenbendazole.

Also, you said you treated your tank with the Jungle tabs, but did you treat with the Parasite food as well or do extra water changes?

This is such a nasty parasite you have to take a 3 pronged attack.

Food, for the internal parasite: Jungle Anti parasite food works but getting Panacur/fenbendazole works better. Soak frozen or pellets in the Panacur for at least an hour.

Parasite tank meds and extra water changes: for the external killing of the parasite.

As the fish eat the meds it weakens the parasite. As it weakens it drops into the tank. It can still live unless you catch it while weakened. Do water changes with a good gravel vacuuming, then treat your tank at half dose with the tabs.

Example of half dosing:

normal dosing instructions:

40g tank: 1 tab per gallon for 2 days= 8 tabs. You're using 4 a day x 2 days= 8

To minimize stress on already weak fish half dose it:

40g tank: 2 tabs a day for 4 days. Minimizes stress on fish that are sensitive to meds and also minimizes impact on your beneficial bacteria.

I just found the thin, small red threads on an angelfish of mine. Did some research and everything points to this worm. Angelsplus.com carries a flake with fenbendazole, I'm going to give them a try and will let all know how it goes. I do understand this de-wormer will kill worm and eggs in the fish, but any in the tank will not be treated, that's why a treatment has to be repeated two weeks after the parasite appears gone.

Welcom to AA Jimenezlee!! Im sorry it has to be for such crappy reasons! Those red fiber worms are seriously my worst nightmare, I have a more recent post where a marine biologist as suggested I try interceptor... so im calling the vets tomorrow when there open and giving that a shot... GL to all of us with these nasty worms...

oh, one more thing. How do you suppose your angel got them? Do you have recent additions to your tank?

camallanus on my angels

Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading several posts before, just the first time I actually make a post myself. I keep angelfish, and this last one itself is a fairly new female I got around the 11th of last month. I got three that time and I only notice it on this particular one, but from what I've read its very likely all three I got and the 4 I had previously have it since they've all shared a tank at one point or another, so I'm going to treat all 7.

This fish is part of a breeding pair I got in a tank divided and shared with another breeding pair. I have a set of free swimmers from the other pair and this one recently laid eggs, so I've been looking a lot at her and that's how I noticed them. Hopefully I can eradicate the parasite before it has a chance to spread to the babies...

I wish you luck. I have babies in my tank as well, and yes if its in the tank any one of them could be infected, so treating the whole tank is the smartest thing to do. One thing im not sure of since I have livebearing fish, if it can be passed to the fry in "utero" (although im pretty sure fish dont have a uterus, im not sure what to call it, im more familiar with human pregnancy :) ) ?????

Well, from what I've found on-line, which isn't much, they need to be eaten to infect a new host.

This is the best article I found that describes their lifecycle.

Camallanus worms

From this it would be unlikely that they would have had a chance yet to infect the babies as say free swimmers, unless they are in the same tank with infected fish and could potentially eat (or at least do their "I put it in my mouth but don't eat it thing they do") infected feces.

I hatch and keep my fry separate from the parents, so hopefully they won't get the parasite and I'll have a chance to treat just the infected adults, which are in a bare bottom. So frequent bottom cleanings, water changes and the flakes are my plan for eradicating. Wish me luck... :)

Well, from what I've found on-line, which isn't much, they need to be eaten to infect a new host.

This is the best article I found that describes their lifecycle.

Camallanus worms

From this it would be unlikely that they would have had a chance yet to infect the babies as say free swimmers, unless they are in the same tank with infected fish and could potentially eat (or at least do their "I put it in my mouth but don't eat it thing they do") infected feces.

I hatch and keep my fry separate from the parents, so hopefully they won't get the parasite and I'll have a chance to treat just the infected adults, which are in a bare bottom. So frequent bottom cleanings, water changes and the flakes are my plan for eradicating. Wish me luck... :)

Thanks, I hadnt read that paticular article before but ones very similar. Wishing you lots of luck. I get/order my meds tomorrow, so well see how it goes in a few days.

Hey Tasha, how's your treatment going? I got my meds on Wednesday, they're in the form of a garlic-based flake with the fenbendazole in it, but I can't get my fish to eat it. They haven't had anything else since Wed night, but they're spoiled fish that were used to very tasty flake and bloodworms... Was wondering if you are having any better luck. I'm letting mine get a little hungrier so they will accept this flake.

My fish have reluctantly eaten a medicated flake or two... Two worms came out! Don't know which fish "passed" them, but I still see them in the female I'm trying to treat.

Attachments

• image-1324929135.jpg
    image-1324929135.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 138
  • image-1426078149.jpg
    image-1426078149.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 91
You still need to clean the gravel and use a tank treatment for parasites. Once the worm has been expelled it can still live outside the host. That's how the next host gets infected.

By doing it in a 3 prong attack, you stand a better chance of getting rid of it.

Trust me on this, I've beaten this thing twice now in two different tanks.

Okay cool, that blood sucker was still wiggling so I know he was still alive. I got the fish with the obvious infestation and two others in bare bottom tanks; so cleaning those was easy. Don't know how to deal with the three in the planted tank. Perhaps move them to a bare bottom before treating? How do you treat the whole tank? I had a hard enough time finding the medicated flake.

Back
Top Bottom