camallanus worms!! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolyptRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently discovered an infestation of camallanus worms in my 30 gal community tank almost every fish appears to have them and even the ones that i can't see probably do have them. Some are worse than others a few lost appetite and are starting to lose weight. One of my panchax is having a hard time staying upright.

Im not going to explain too much because obviously if you have dealt with them than you know what happens.

I have never encountered camallanus worms before so did not know too much about treating them, i did research and read that the best results in treating these came from deworming medications with fenbenzadole in them.

However due to where i live i can't find it in any stores, what i could get a hold of was jungle lab parasite clear tank buddies tabs which i have been using along with melafix, aquarium salts, antibacterial medicated food. I also bought the only dewormer i could find which is for dogs and the medical ingredient in it is piperazine as cortate. It came in capsules which i emptied thwart powder from one capsule into 17 grams of food i added some water and a small clove of garlic i made into a paste and let everything soak and mixed it all very well. What i am left with is a paste which i have been feeding them with i notice a few less worms but im not convinced.

Any advice should i just find the fenbenzadole online and order it? Does it really work or is what i am doing eventually rid them of worms?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one fish show signs and treated with Levamisole. From what i can tell, its very effective, but very hard on the fish too. I ordered it from Aquabid.com. If you use this med you will probably lose the worst affected fish. Small fish like tetras don't survive it well. Sounds like you have a very heavy infestation. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom