Came home to a sickening surprise...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
It had been a few days since I had seen my male BN pleco. I was just about to take some pics of him the other day when he was on the glass so I could show a friend the growth of the bristles, but I didn't as I had to get to work. The last time I saw him must have been on Friday. I had to work all day Saturday so I didn't get to see any of my fish that much but I knew that he was not showing up for role call when it came time to feed.

I noticed just yesterday that my little rock formation, which I made from heavy pieces of slate, had a huge dug out part by it. It must have been there on Saturday as well. I figured that he or the female were just a little more active than normal, and moved away some of the pfs when chasing one another. Now, I just realized what happened.

I knew he was missing, so I just searched my tank 15 minutes ago. I checked every piece of driftwood, looked to see if he had jumped out (which I doubted because there wasn't really enough space) and any other hiding spot that I could think he may be hiding in. The last spot I thought to check was where he was. I lifted up two of the pieces of slate and he appeared. I was startled at first and was like "THERE you are" but then I was shocked once more when I realized that he was floating and that his head was starting to rot away. The smell was that of a rotting bulb from a plant; awful to say the least. I think I am going to have to do a decent sized water change pretty soon. The poor little guy must have tried to burrow under the slate part-way only to have it collapse on him. I am sure that he tried frantically to get out (creating that large dug out portion) but it was no use... the weight was too much. You will be missed. :cry:

:( Really sorry to hear about your loss. Doesn't sound like anything you could have done to prevent it; fish do the most bizarre things sometimes unfortunately :( :( :(

I'm so sorry about your Pleco! I had something similar happen years ago, and now make sure all rocks/driftwood have a strong foundation (not sitting on gravel). I put my "foundation" rocks and driftwood in before my substrate, then build the caves and such (making sure everything is solid and secure). Once you lose one fish to a collapse, you learn (the hard way) to be extra careful.

Don't feel its your fault, of course. Being a aquarist is a learning process for all of us, and its impossible to guess what crazy things our critters will do.

Again, I'm really sorry for your loss. :(

Sorry to hear that, its always hard to loose such great fish :(

Back
Top Bottom