Came out of rock dont know what it is help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakewink22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help please

Attachments

• image-2681750968.jpg
    image-2681750968.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 196
  • image-1692262871.jpg
    image-1692262871.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 175
Those are bristle worms they aren't dangerous from what I read we have a lot in our LR at my job you can't pull them out if you want just a lil annoying cause like most worms is you rip off half of the body the other half stays alive

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are bristle worms they aren't dangerous

Welllll a LITTLE dangerous (to fingers at least).....

bristleworm%20spines%20finger_396x287.jpg

Oh man yea ya houldnt have tried that go to ur local pet store and pick reptile tongs that's what I used

With a little research there are plenty of diy traps for these guys or you can buy a bristle worm trap at your local LFS. they arent dangerous but they can damage some corals but if your just doing a fish only live rock aquarium they wont be too much of a problem

Yeah if they are small like couple inches keep them because they clean the dead bacteria in the live rock rather having to clean the lr yourself but there are wrasse and tangs that eat them as we'll the huge ones I pulled out with the tongs but the small ones I left in my tank

Last edited by a moderator:
The traps do work(ive had to use) yeah shouldnt have used hand to catch them..spines are ccium and break off easy(as u found out) do get a set of tweezers/forceps from lfs....

We get them often in fiji rock from our lfs. Soaking the rock in extremely salty water or cold freshwater usually runs them away.

No some people say the six line wrasse will, but im sure they'd have to be starving lol

They are actually a good part of your cleanup crew.They don't hurt fish,corals or inverts.Don't overfeed and the numbers will stay down.

Attachments

• image-113481215.jpg
    image-113481215.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 90
Lol I've never had the barbs stick in my fingers. But reptile tongs come in handy regardless :p

Those are bristle worms they aren't dangerous from what I read we have a lot in our LR at my job you can't pull them out if you want just a lil annoying cause like most worms is you rip off half of the body the other half stays alive

They will also sting you

Yeah if they are small like couple inches keep them because they clean the dead bacteria in the live rock rather having to clean the lr yourself but there are wrasse and tangs that eat them as we'll the huge ones I pulled out with the tongs but the small ones I left in my tank

They grow up to like 2 feet or something

Back
Top Bottom