Camellanus worms, and is diatomaceous earth safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruth Ann

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So after doing some searching I basically confirmed that the little clump of red hairs coming from my angel fish's butt is a parasite invasion. Camellanus worms. And now one of the guppies has it too. The guppy is now moping around the tank, mostly resting on the gravel. But the angelfish is acting fine.. I hope she last another few days before I can get her some treatment.

So, we know that diatomaceous earth can be used in the filter, right? And we also know that it is a powerful de-wormer for all other pets. It can even be taken by humans as part of a parasite cleanse diet. We're talking food grade DE. Is it safe to try and feed it to my fish? I have searched the internet and came up empty handed. Not even any advice warning against it. But then, no advice recommending it either. Does anyone know if fish can safely ingest diatomaceous earth?

From my initial research, dichotomous earth is used in an aquarium setting in a filter:
Amazon.com: Aquarium Diatomaceous Earth Filter Powder - Food Grade (3.3 LB / 1500G): Pet Supplies

I good dewormer is levamisole powder and is sold as Vermisol 7.5%:

Vita King Pigeon Supplies - Wormers

If you get the powder form (not the tablet which is a higher concentration), the dose is 1/2 tsp for 20 Gallons.

Inkmkr also sells levamisole but his is a higher concentration of the drug. A 5 gram packet treats 100 gallons of water:

Levamisole, Flubendazole & other chemicals for the aquarium

You need to perform a large water change before treating. This drug does not affect the bio filter. Treat for 24 hours, then run carbon or perform a large water change over the next two days to clear out the drugs. Retreat in 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom