Camellanus Worms : Fenbendazole treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heatheratl11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The nightmare worm strikes again! I bought a couple of new guppies from Petsmart (when will I learn my lesson) and about a week later I noticed the female guppy with the camallanus worm. I took her out of the tank (no other fish display any symptoms and I see no more worms on any other fish.. tho I am still watching them all closely). I kept 50% of the water but I completely emptied the tank, bleached everything.. aside from the fish.. rinsed, rinsed and rinsed some more and set the whole tank back up again. Everyone made it through the ordeal fine. Now on to the infected fish...

I went to my local feed store, and based on all the info I have gathered from the internet, bought the Safe-guard Fenbendazole concentrate. I found the proper dose and saturated some blood worms and fed the fish... dumping the left over meds directly into the sick tank. Nothing seemed to be happening and I could see two very large worms protruding and I actually picked the fish up out of the water and pulled the worms out with tweezers.. they were still alive and well but came out easily. I know this sounds desperate!! The next 24 hours this poor little gal was a pooping machine.. the worms had obviously impacted her. Now this morning I see another worm hanging there alive and well. I soaked more bloodworms as well as some dried flake food and dumped that in there. Again.. nothing seems to be happening. I am guessing she is just choosing not to eat the food.

The worm kicked my aqaurium's tail about a year ago. I am so ticked I have another fish with these worms and I truly hope I removed the infected fish quick enough to avoid the others being infected. So bummed.
:(
Any advise?

Help!!

Here's what I did when I had that darn worm in my betta tank.

50% or more water change. Starting out with clean water is always a good thing.

Get some of the Jungle Lab anti-parasite food and the water tabs for parasite treatment.

Feed fish/treat tank according to instructions.

After all signs of the worm were gone from the fish, I did a 50% water change with a good gravel cleaning, used the Jungle tabs at half dose for another week in case any worms survived, and feed them brine shrimp or daphnia (both help cleanse the intestines of the fish, making it easier to get rid of the worms and any eggs)

I haven't had an outbreak since. Funny thing, it started with the bettas I had gotten from Walmart (another reason I don't buy fish there anymore)

i got that worm on a betta a couple years ago from walmart...needless to say he didnt survive.
but to top it all off now...i will never buy another fish from walmart. i believe someone started a petition in my city, dont know if its all over canada or just winnipeg. but walmarts don't sell fish anymore here! thank god for that!

... dont know if its all over canada or just winnipeg. but walmarts don't sell fish anymore here! thank god for that!

They stopped selling fish in Edmonton too ... Lets hope it is a world wide policy!

As for the camellanus - agree that Jungle's Anti-parasite food is worth a try. It has Levemazole, should help if the fish will eat it.

They stopped selling fish in Edmonton too ... Lets hope it is a world wide policy!
They stopped selling fish in BC too, but I still see americans buying fish from walmart so I think it's a Canada thing. Harder for them to keep and ship fish in Canada for the most part, especially in winter.

Back
Top Bottom