cammallanus? Some kind of butt-worm.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my 20 gallon long, there are ghost shrimp, live plants, one zebra snail, and a single betta, who was supposed to be a placeholder until my platies are ready to go in there(to feed the biological filter, yadda yadda). The betta has had off and on bouts with fin rot since i got him several months ago, but seemed to be clearing up lately, and I thought he was finally recovered, so I put him in the twenty. Several days ago he started to get lethargic again. I've been treating with seachem paraguard since then. Last night, his fins were looking raggedy again, so his fin rot is still there. Now today, he clearly has worms sticking out of his butt. I think they mat be cammallanus. They are short, pointy and reddish-brown. I removed him from the tank and put him in a gallon cube for now. How should I go about treating the tank and the fish? Will shrimp and plants carry the parasite? I don't want to kill all of my java fens and anubias with medications. They were expensive and i don't think can afford to replace all of them! :(

I have platies in a ten gallon tank that have been having irregular poop. Sometimes it is solid and brown or green in color, sometimes it is clear, sometimes thread-thin and whitish-clear, and green(only when I feed them peas). Should i be worried that they may have the parasites, too? Other than the poop, they seem perfectly healthy. There are shrimp and plants in this tank, too.

Both tanks have zero ammonia/nitrite, less than ten nitrate.

I read about levamisole, but it apparently is really difficult to find. I found some on ebay, but for 15 dollars per ten grams that is too expensive. At this point, it looks much better to just put the betta down. He doesn't seem too happy, anyway. :( Will cammallanus even survive without fish in the tank?

All of the disease/parasite problems I've been running into since I got into this hobby a few months ago are really discouraging me.

So I went around town to four different fish stores to ask for advice, and none of them have even HEARD of cammallanus! What gives? Is this an extremely rare parasite? (Just my luck...) None of them sold any medication containing levamisole, either. None had any medications at all for internal parasites. I'm at a loss. Any advice will be appreciated.

One shop owner said to feed chopped garlic, that's about all the advice I got so far. I've already fed him garlic a couple of times. :(

I just found this on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Levamisole-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item338211f4f2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-De-Wor...939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d27d9c63
Should I order some? It might not arrive in time to save my betta, though...

The only worm treatment I've found at my local fish stores is prazipro (haven't been scouring them either, its a local mom and pops) can't speak for the specific worm or if prazi treats it but that's what Ive used to treat for worms just in case, if you want to look into it. Edit to add- I've heard the garlic thing it treats worms in most creatures I believe. You can also soak the food in garlic juice after mincing it.

MVP on aquabid. You can purchase levamisole online many places (amazon, etc). This is the only med that will kill camallanus. You'd need praziquantel for all the other worms. I'm going through the same thing! It's awful!

MVP on aquabid. You can purchase levamisole online many places (amazon, etc). This is the only med that will kill camallanus. You'd need praziquantel for all the other worms. I'm going through the same thing! It's awful!

I see instructions for this stuff say to repeat the dose a second time after two or three weeks. Would it be harmful to do a third dose a couple weeks later, you think? If I end up getting a hold of some levamisole, I want to thoroughly eradicate this stuff. Maybe I could use it on new fish in quarantine, too? I'm just so done with fish parasites. Ich on my platy was bad enough. No more. no more. no more. Get off my fish. :banghead:

It looks like I will have to buy online, and that's that. Too bad I only have cash on me, or I could buy it now. I'll have to make a trip to the bank tomorrow so I can pay online with my card.

Thanks for the seller recommendation. I've never bought anything on aquabid, though. I assume it works just like ebay?

So I listed a video game on ebay to attempt to get some cash into my paypal tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow, and it sold in a hour.(Speed selling, yeah!) So I got 10 grams of levamisole from MVP on Aquabid. After reading up on dosing, ten grams will apparently be good for many more treatments than I thought it would be. I should have some leftover after treating both my ten and twenty gallon. I just need to get in contact with the seller to see how long it will take to ship. Also to make sure i sent the payment correctly...I'm new to Aquabid.

It expires, so be careful how long you keep it. I've about had it myself! Seems like if it's not one thing....it's another. And, I actually pay attention to my fish. So, I notice right away when something is wrong. Then, I get to try to figure out the problem. After testing water, changing water, posting questions here, agonizing about medicating, finally medicating, then seeing there's still a problem....let's just say I'm pretty frustrated myself! I just happen to love difficult fish (angels, rams, etc), who are more prone to problems. Then again, my bf mother throws angels in a tank with stress coat, and hasn't had a single problem! I refuse to admit I'm the problem, so.....I'm thinking of switching to cichlids. Lol

It expires, so be careful how long you keep it. I've about had it myself! Seems like if it's not one thing....it's another. And, I actually pay attention to my fish. So, I notice right away when something is wrong. Then, I get to try to figure out the problem. After testing water, changing water, posting questions here, agonizing about medicating, finally medicating, then seeing there's still a problem....let's just say I'm pretty frustrated myself! I just happen to love difficult fish (angels, rams, etc), who are more prone to problems. Then again, my bf mother throws angels in a tank with stress coat, and hasn't had a single problem! I refuse to admit I'm the problem, so.....I'm thinking of switching to cichlids. Lol

Are bolivian rams prone to health problems, too? I was really considering getting one for my 20 long. I was told they are hardy, and some in a local store look healthy and are brimming with energy.

Not as bad as German blues....but not as pretty either IMO. They're pretty hardy. Just don't get 2 males. Non-stop fighting!

Not as bad as German blues....but not as pretty either IMO. They're pretty hardy. Just don't get 2 males. Non-stop fighting!

I was going to only get one, and I agree that the blues are prettier, but the bolivians are still quite beautiful. They are more beautiful when seen in person, though. Especially the ones at my nearest fish store. They have a simplistic kind of beauty, rather than colorful. The way they look at me when I get up close to the tank is adorable, like they are wondering what I'm doing there. Every time i go in to the store, I have to resist the urge to take one of them home. :)
I heard they are vulnerable to cammallanus worms, so I definitely shouldn't get one any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom