Can a 2 1/2" rusty eat a zebra danio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay. I have 4 zebra danios in my tank with a rusty cichlid 2 1/2" , a Kenyi 2", and a demasoni 2". So today when I woke up all the zebra danios were there. When I came back 1 was missing. Can't find it anywhere. The rusty looks like the only one that could of ate it. It was about an 1 1/2 inch female danio that had a large stomach. I also have a hood on the tank. What couldve happened. I have seen no body.

Yes they can kill and eat a small danio. Like its already been pointed out you've recieved some bad advice which we've all been there at some point, but now is the time to minimize that mistake and rehome some fish.

Mbuna African Cichlids should only be stocked together. When picking mbuna out you should be going by size and aggression levels. More than likely they ate it or its hiding for its life and the other non mbuna will more then likely do it to. I have watched mbuna eat entire fish whole and I've watched them pick at others till they died from stress, ether way they will get ate.

HUKIT said:
Yes they can kill and eat a small danio. Like its already been pointed out you've recieved some bad advice which we've all been there at some point, but now is the time to minimize that mistake and rehome some fish.

Thanks. I guess it could be possible. They don't even look at the danios. And like I said in the other thread I already spent almost all the money I had on these 3 fish I would prefer not to rehome. I'll try my best and if I run out of options I'll rehome.

I'm glad your here to learn and keep a open mind to our advice, remember we have no vested interest in your tank like the petstore does. I started keeping fish long before the Internet and I've made every mistake in the book along the way, like anything in life learn from the mistakes and move on.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom