Can a ballon belly ram breed with a regular blue ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leko214

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a ballon belly ram (female) and a male blue ram. I was wondering if they would be able to breed I’ve had them for a while but in separate tanks. I recently moved them to their own 10 gallon tank I have it set up for them to breed but will they actually be able to? Any information would help thanks.

I am not aware of any reason they could not. The female lays eggs and the male follows up and fertilizes them. You should have a few places in the tank with flat, smooth type surfaces. Plants and a cave like places for them to hide.

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/how-to-breed-the-ram-mikrogeophagus-ramirezi/

Yeah I basically followed dean from aquarium co-ops ram breeding set up. They’ve been in there for about a week. Hopefully they’ll start soon. I appreciate the reply thank you very much!

Perfect water parameters and live foods, worms, brine shrimp, etc. Big water change. Then leave them alone for a while no water change I haven't seen the video but I am sure it is covering the basics.

Good luck, it is exciting to see babies. Make sure you know what to feed them when they hatch. Vinegar eels is a good food. You can make Infusoria, Baby Brine shrimp later.

Perfect water parameters and live foods, worms, brine shrimp, etc. Big water change. Then leave them alone for a while no water change I haven't seen the video but I am sure it is covering the basics.

Good luck, it is exciting to see babies. Make sure you know what to feed them when they hatch. Vinegar eels is a good food. You can make Infusoria, Baby Brine shrimp later.

Thank you very much I’m so excited to possibly see baby rams in the near future. So if and when I do have baby rams, I shouldn’t feed baby brine off the rip? I have a brine hatchery. But if I have to invest is some other live food for them I definitely will. M

Just watched the YouTube vid. Can’t thank you enough. I’ll make sure I get started with that.

The BB are too big usually right off. I haven't raised the Rams myself but know that usually the first week to 10 days people use a variety of things, you can check in what is best for Rams. Infusoria, green water, boiled egg, yolks put through a sieve, and vinegar eels, banana worms, walter worms. Later BB shrimp, walter worms, Grindal Worms.

The babies use up their yolk sack first and then need food. If you have a very matured tank often there are tiny aufwuchs for them but a new tank wouldn't have that, maybe could add in some DW plants and moss from another tank if you had that.

If you do not supplement the feeding of the tiny fry many will die off.

The BB are too big usually right off. I haven't raised the Rams myself but know that usually the first week to 10 days people use a variety of things, you can check in what is best for Rams. Infusoria, green water, boiled egg, yolks put through a sieve, and vinegar eels, banana worms, walter worms. Later BB shrimp, walter worms, Grindal Worms.

The babies use up their yolk sack first and then need food. If you have a very matured tank often there are tiny aufwuchs for them but a new tank wouldn't have that, maybe could add in some DW plants and moss from another tank if you had that.

If you do not supplement the feeding of the tiny fry many will die off.

Both my rams have finally showed interest in each-other, and now they are clearing a smooth rock I have in there.

Very sorry to hear it. My paring ended in one dead too. I feel your frustration, and know the sadness. You are not alone in this experience, just know that. But it really sucks to lose a fish. That type situation is hard. You want them to breed, so how are you supposed to know that mGic tipping point?!!

Check Coralbandit, member Maybe on Aquabid, sometimes at Petco. But your quality will be better from CoralBandit. You can pm him. Just go to pm and type in the name.

It is costly for shipping. I guess now more critical as many standard shipped packages are late. But I never have heard of anyone not love these fish!

Back
Top Bottom