Can a betta live with endlers livebearers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to set up my 10 gallon this summer. I'm thinking of doing sand and partially planted with driftwood, very natural looking. I was thinking up some stocking ideas and was wondering if a betta would get along with endlers livebearers. Has anyone ever tried this? They are colorful, but small finned, so I'm not really sure how it would go down.

Could I do 1 male betta, 3 male endlers, and maybe 5 pygmy corys in a 10 gal?

Ha! I love your sig line Stephanie. Sounds like me. Mine used to read "Im a newbie. Don't hate me, educate me". LOL.

I believe as far as your stocking numbers go, you're good. But as far as keeping them with a betta, unfortunately it depends on the individual betta. You can try it, but you should have another tank(a 5 gal or another 10 gal) ready in case it doesnt work out, so you have a place to put the betta. If it does work out, great! Then you have a QT/hospital tank. If it doesnt work out, then at least the betta will have a place to go. I'm not real familiar with endlers but if they are like other gups, aren't the males more colorful? If so, you should probably go with females. But lets see what the experts have to say.

I have a male betta in a 23 gal flatback hex and there are 2 ADF's and a BN as well as a few nerites in there and I don't have any problem. But I'm pretty sure I have a rather mellow betta.

Just remember, bettas are generally fiesty and endlers only reach an inch in length Max.. so they might get bullied around

I agree...I think the betta will either bully the endlers or the endlers will nip at the betta's flowing fins...

I think a betta with endlers is as likely to work as anything else with a betta. I would add the betta last, if possible, and have a back up plan, as you always should when adding a betta to a community. For the cories, I would go with hasbrosus or nanus. They, like most cories, hang out on the bottom mostly. Other pygmy's such as hastatus and pymaeus shoal mid tank.

Back
Top Bottom