Can airstones have a negative effect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andydg

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a question. Can having an air stone for looks effect a tank in a negative way at all???

I moved this question to its own thread Andy so it gets the attention it deserves. Next time, if your question is different from the original posters main question, start a new thread; this way folks won't miss your question.

As for having an airstone for effect causing probs, generally not. It adds more surface agitation, which means more O2 exchange (the bubbles don't add O2 directly to the tank) and thats usually a good thing. As long as its not causing a huge amount of current for fish that can't handle it (lke angelfish), shouldn't be a problem. Is anything unusual going on in your tank since adding an airstone?

Oh ok...most other forums that I go to get all mad when you have a topic so similar and you make a new one. Guess everyone here is a lot nicer about it. No I haven't noticed any problems, just thought that I would ask since the post reminded me that I was going to.

Andydg....

There are some enthusiasts of high-light, heavily-planted tanks that won't put in an airstone because it creates surface agitation that MAY cause the loss of CO2 in the water. Other than that...I agree completely with Allivymar's evaluation (as usual).

Eh, if the question is exactly the same, and is the only question in both, it is easier for us to have em in the same post. But we feel, if there are other things going on, well...everyone has diff issues and I for one hate to see questions get missed; tis what were here for :)

Hehe. Beat me to it. Agreement with Alli and Fruitbat. In my planted tank, I don't use a bubbler because I know that the plants are producing lost of O2 for the fish, and that the CO2 I've carefully set up may be off-gassed by surface agitation.

*Sigh,* what a harmonious site this sometimes is!

Ok so an air stone in a tank with no live plants is ok but if it has live plant having the air stone can take out CO2. Alright I get that thanks.

It will also cause faster evaporation so you will have to top it off a little more often as well.

Hmmm interesting to know! I may turn my airstones off for a bit now that I have plants in the tank!

Back
Top Bottom