can any one help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paige2731

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi my hubby and i already have one tank set up but now are planning a 2nd tank we know we are getting fancy guppies thanks to a friend who had one that was pregnant it will be a 20 gal tank my main question's are
1) can i put angel fish in the tank
2) how many guppies would be best for the tank
3) how much do you think the tank will weigh once it is filled
Thanks in advance for anyone that can help

hi my hubby and i already have one tank set up but now are planning a 2nd tank we know we are getting fancy guppies thanks to a friend who had one that was pregnant it will be a 20 gal tank my main question's are

Hi, alright here goes

1. No, angelfish are too big for a 20 gallon. They get too tall, and would probably be too aggressive for guppies in a 20 g tank :(

2. You could put a bunch of fancy guppies in a 20. If they are the only fish going in you'd probably be ok with up to 10, but if you're mixing sexes make sure you leave room for inevitable babies!

3. The 20g should weigh approx 80 kg/170 lbs

Hope that helps :)

thank you

that helped so much thanks my only other question is what would go well with guppies this is going to be for our kids so they want something colorful we have an aggresive tank at home right now, so none of them could go in of course. Originally we were going to put in some glow fish but then his friend offered us the guppies so do you have any suggestions? :fish2:

I'd suggest something for the bottom of the tank. Cory catfish are peaceful, fun little fish to watch. I have schools of them in 2 of my tanks. Your kids would
probably enjoy them.
Freshwater shrimp are another option, they're fun to watch as well, and they keep algae under control pretty well!

Your Tank

Hello paige...

Any fish with the exception of Corydoras will bully Guppies especially the males because of the large and colorful tails. Any fish considerably larger will likely make a meal of the males if they have the opportunity and a mouth large enough.

Guppies are best kept in a "species" tank in large numbers and in larger, heavily planted tanks with a lot of floating plants like Hornwort. I keep a few Corydoras in my Guppy tanks. The smallest tank is 38 gallons, the largest is 60. Guppies are active swimmers and prefer a lot of room.

Guppies are very fast breeders, if they're kept in pure water conditions and will overpopulate a small tank in a few months.

A 20 gallon tank with water and substrate is roughly 200 lbs.

Just a couple of observations.

B

that helped so much thanks my only other question is what would go well with guppies this is going to be for our kids so they want something colorful we have an aggresive tank at home right now, so none of them could go in of course. Originally we were going to put in some glow fish but then his friend offered us the guppies so do you have any suggestions? :fish2:

Have you checked out Endler Guppies? They are very colorfull and are still just guppies!

Back
Top Bottom