Can anyone explain why my heater isnt heating the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwenBrewer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Trying to get my new tank to cycle, and as its coming to an end to the process, I realize it's pretty close to the same temp as my other tanks without heaters just by touch. It's a 29 gallon (I believe, it's bigger than my 20 and smaller than my 55... Got it off a trade on CL as well as the heater and hob filter) and I believe it's a 200w heater, it's been running for 3-4 days, thermometers staying right around 68.

Not sure if it matters but the filter is moving 330 gph, and it's uncovered at the moment .

Could be simply a broken heater. If its an Eheim Jäger sometimes they need calibrated at the top.

Yes it's working. A red light comes on and off at intervals of a few minutes, and I've pulled it out of the water and it's warm to the touch... Not sure what brand it is.

200w should be ample for the tank size, sounds faulty to me - if in doubt with a heater I would bin it straight away, less risk the chance of boiled fish or chilled. Just because it feels warm to the touch doesn't mean it's working fully, the heater might not be heating evenly. You could try repositioning it somewhere in the tank to see if that helps.

Would 200 watts be too small? From what I've read I thought that's around the standard size for a 55 gallon

Right now it's positioned in the top back corner opposite of the filter, thermometer is diagonal from the heater in front of the filter. Where would you recommend positioning it?

No, 200w is a little on the high side for a 29, I think. I would try horizontally near the filter intake if it's submersible.

Here's a pic, sponge filter isnt currently set up.

Attachments

• image-3488336410.jpg
    image-3488336410.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 73
If its submersible run it horizontally along the back of the tank, though if the filter is putting a good flow onto it I don't think it will make much difference. Judging by the tank you could try moving the heater closer to the filter. Some heaters have cells in them that heat, if some cells are damaged or dead the heater will feel warm but not in enough overall spots to heat the water equally. Seriously I wouldn't spend to much time on it, as soon as I think a heater is playing up, I pull it straight out of the tank.

Last edited:
Looks like a tetra heater. They are hit or miss based of what I've read about them. If you're lucky enough to get one that works they will work, but I've known people that had to get numerous replacements.

I just wanted to go ahead and give it the benefit of the doubt before I tried a new one. This is my first tank using a heater because my 3 other ones I have set up are stocked with hardy fish that don't really need one.

How hardy are we talking? 68 degrees isn't really an ideal temperature for any tropical fish.

A new Fluval M heater in 200 watts will run you less than $18 on Amazon. I hear good things about them.

I prefer Eheim Jager myself, but they run a little bit more money if you are pinching pennies.

Try it in a few different spots, but in your tank it shouldn't make to much off a difference. If anything is going to break in a tropical set up its going to be the heater in the majority of times, I change mine every 2-3 years even if there still working perfectly - to many horror stories with heaters staying on. You will probably find whoever had it last ran it while the tank was dry or didn't turn it off during a large water change and it's burnt something out.

They're basically all a few different types of tetras, three guppies and a few mollies. But they're in a different, warmer, part of the house. I tend to keep my bedroom fairly cold haha.

The three tanks I got on the trade had 4 heaters, one looks identical to the one in the tank, the second one identical just smaller (100w?) and the third says aqueon 200 but it makes a sound similar to a busted light bulb when Move it

Attachments

• image-3468921138.jpg
    image-3468921138.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom