Can anyone help my female betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverDragon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive had a female betta "Potpourri" for 6 months or so and until now she lived in a community tank. She picked on my catfish till he died, and then proceeded to pick on my black Molly. Shes now been seperated to her own 2 gallon tank and is acting very unhappy.

She is moving slower and sitting near or on the bottom with clamped fins quite a bit. Shes been eating and has no visible signs of illness or parasites. Could it be that I didnt let the new tank establish for long enough before I put hher in? Could the change in temperature be a factor?(It doesnt get below 70 F but there is no heater in her tank.. and there was in her previous tank)

Maybe shes just missing the other fish she was picking on.. or she misses the current coming out of the filter in the other tank.

Should I treat her with any meds?

Thanks.

Could the change in temperature be a factor?(It doesnt get below 70 F but there is no heater in her tank.. and there was in her previous tank)
Lower temps make bettas more prone to disease. It doesn't get below 70, but how high does the water get during the day? Swings in temp can cause problems. You should find a small heater for that tank. How often do you PWC the betta tank? Is it filtered?

Should I treat her with any meds?
Your best bet at this time is to get Potpourri in a cycled tank with heat.

The temp shouldn't hurt and bettas are rarely in a cycled tank. You just have to keep up water changes. I'll bet she was used to constantly swimming against the current of the filter and now finally has a chance to rest. Perhaps a companion would encourage her to be a little more active, though you might go through a few fish before you find one that can hold its own against her.

Back
Top Bottom