can anyone ID this geo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber1003

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted a pic of a juvenile geo befoe but was too young to id. I went to the lfs I bought it from where they had an older one in their display tank. They tell me it's a surinamesis but I am told it is probaby not. Here is a pic of the one at the lfs

ForumRunner_20130915_172120.jpg

I will guarantee that it is 100% NOT a Surinamensis, they are never imported basically...

The species I was gonna say before reading that you were told it was a Surinamensis was an abalios, which is commonly sold as a surinamensis

Thanks I was thinking that. Another website had said maybe altifrons but I wasn't sure

I'm curious what the differences are between the 2 at this age. I've been looking up pictures and I can't tell the difference.

Abalios: no facial markings, six dorso-ventrally directed yellowish gray bars, large spot on its flank coinsiding with the 3rd bar, and usually striped caudal fin (however when young can be spotted or a combo of both)

Altifrons: No facial markings, small (less than four scales) or non-existent spot on flank, and spotted caudal fin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom