can anyone identify this growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niccobacci11

Aquarium Advice Freak
this grayish string like stuff is all over all of my plants and have been trying to get rid of this tuff for the past 2 months. It does seem to effect the leaves that it is on and the leaf eventually does die which sucks. I would like to know what the name of this stuff is and how to treat it. It doesn't seem to effect my fish because I have a betta and 4 shrimp in the tank at this moment. the tank is a 10 gallon with eco-complete substrate, and a seaclear HOB filter.

Attachments

• image-1407742788.jpg
    image-1407742788.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3293723395.jpg
    image-3293723395.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2663830136.jpg
    image-2663830136.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 107
It appears to be staghorn to me, too. Treat with hydrogen peroxide. Turn off filter and lights for twenty minutes. You can use 3mls per 10 gallons. Are you using co2 or liquid carbon? Staghorn is typically from low co2.

It appears to be staghorn to me, too. Treat with hydrogen peroxide. Turn off filter and lights for twenty minutes. You can use 3mls per 10 gallons. Are you using co2 or liquid carbon? Staghorn is typically from low co2.

I have the same with fish inwould I go about this the same way or what

I have the same with fish inwould I go about this the same way or what
Yes. Hydrogen peroxide is fish safe and plant safe when used moderately.

In fact, when my fish were gasping from too much co2 one time, I added some H2o2 to get more oxygen into the water.

Ok I been wondering what it was cause i've had it since adding my plants

Actually that looks like Cladophora, which is often called blanket weed. What does it feel like? Hard or gritty? It's not showing the multi branching you see in Staghorn.

What lighting do you have and how long are your running it daily? Are you using ferts? If so what ones, and how are you dosing? Do you know you nitrate and phosphate levels? Are you using a liquid carbon or CO2?

Cladophora can be spot treated with liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide at a rate of 1-3ml of either to every 1 gallon of tank water. Filters should be turned off for 20 minutes during treatment. The thing is you need to find what's causing it and correct it so it doesn't come back again.

Actually that looks like Cladophora, which is often called blanket weed. What does it feel like? Hard or gritty? It's not showing the multi branching you see in Staghorn.

What lighting do you have and how long are your running it daily? Are you using ferts? If so what ones, and how are you dosing? Do you know you nitrate and phosphate levels? Are you using a liquid carbon or CO2?

Cladophora can be spot treated with liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide at a rate of 1-3ml of either to every 1 gallon of tank water. Filters should be turned off for 20 minutes during treatment. The thing is you need to find what's causing it and correct it so it doesn't come back again.

My nitrate level is zero my bb crashed so going thru a cycle I use seachem flourish once a week 2ml API c02 booster once daily 2ml also andAPI leaf zone twice a week at 10ml.
Lighting is one t8 floramax bulb and a marineland led single bright 300 lumens for eight hrs a day

My nitrate level is zero my bb crashed so going thru a cycle I use seachem flourish once a week 2ml API c02 booster once daily 2ml also andAPI leaf zone twice a week at 10ml.
Lighting is one t8 floramax bulb and a marineland led single bright 300 lumens for eight hrs a day

I know it like low nutrient and CO2 levels. Your nitrates in a planted tank should be 10-20ppm. Your phosphate level is probably low or 0 also. Leaf Zone is basically iron and potassium and Flourish is basically micro nutrients. You need to raise your nitrate levels for sure but can't say on your phosphates since you don't monitor them. Also try increasing your liquid carbon to 1ml for every 5 gallons of tank water. Also lower your photoperiod to 6 hours for now.

I know it like low nutrient and CO2 levels. Your nitrates in a planted tank should be 10-20ppm. Your phosphate level is probably low or 0 also. Leaf Zone is basically iron and potassium and Flourish is basically micro nutrients. You need to raise your nitrate levels for sure but can't say on your phosphates since you don't monitor them. Also try increasing your liquid carbon to 1ml for every 5 gallons of tank water. Also lower your photoperiod to 6 hours for now.

Ok and yea I got the master test kit to monitor and i'm trying to get my nitrates up thank u for the help

Ok so my lights are on 12 hours a day.
dose leaf zone once a week.
also have co2 going threw the diffuser about 1 bps.

these are my parameters of the tank as it stands today.

Attachments

• image-2903632026.jpg
    image-2903632026.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 49
Help, Is this hair algea

How should I treat this, I reduced the lighting hours. Can I use Peroxide too.

Attachments

• 29 gal.jpg
    29 gal.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 52
Ok so my lights are on 12 hours a day.
dose leaf zone once a week.
also have co2 going threw the diffuser about 1 bps.

these are my parameters of the tank as it stands today.

Decrease your photoperiod to 6 hours daily. Increase you CO2 to at least 2bps but watch your fish and your going to have to use better ferts that have both macro and micro nutrients especially since you use CO2.

I suggest dry ferts. The El package of dry ferts from Greenleaf Aquariums cost $15 and has all the micro and macro nutrients that your plants need. You dose daily. You can use their dosing bottles or use your own. I like their dosing bottles as it makes dosing easy. Here's a good thread about dosing dry ferts PPS-Pro.... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central. Only read the opening thread not all the comments afterwards.

How should I treat this, I reduced the lighting hours. Can I use Peroxide too.

This appears to be staghorn algae. Yes, you can spot treat it with peroxide but you also need to correct the problem causing it. Too long a photoperiod, low CO2, low flow, and other things can cause it. If you don't find and correct the cause of it the algae will just return even after spot treating it.

Back
Top Bottom