Can anyone recommend a good Magnetic Algae Scraper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 40 Gallon Glass Breeder tank...and I have been using a Mag Float Magnetic Algae Scraper since I set it up 4 months ago. I now have some hard green aglae on the glass that the Mag Float will not scrape off.

I have seen some VERY pricey Magnetic Algae scrapers....but do I need to spend that much money??

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced algae scraper that would appropriately matched in size with my 40 Gallon SW tank

Thanks,

WC

I haven't found any magnetic cleaner that will remove the hard algae. I use a Kent Pro Scrape to remove the hard green algae and coraline from the front glass. They are not expensive, have replaceable blades, and work very well.

I would suggest going 1 size larger on the magfloat than is suggested for your size tank or glass thickness. This will help alot. For the hard algae deposits nothing beets the kent scraper thats been described. For best results get the one marked for glass tanks. Hold the scraper at a very low angle maybe 25* to the glass and the algae will come off lickly split.

I like the kent scraper also, but nothing beats a steady hand and a razor blade. You can shave the glass clean.

malkore said:
I like the kent scraper also, but nothing beats a steady hand and a razor blade. You can shave the glass clean.

Exactly...
And Wally WOrld has 3.4 or 4 in I think scrapers that are GREAT !

Old credit cards work well. You can put it on a piece of PVC pipe by cutting a slice in the bottom of it. It works pretty well though there are some places where I have to hold the cc in my hand to get behind the rockwork.

Back
Top Bottom