Can anyone tell me about snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adangelo100

Aquarium Advice Regular
Use general info.... Are they hard to take care of or not for noobs like me? I thought it would be awesome to have one but I don't know the first thing about them... How much space to they need? Any special foods? Special water conditions? Please and thanks!

Adangelo100 said:
Use general info.... Are they hard to take care of or not for noobs like me? I thought it would be awesome to have one but I don't know the first thing about them... How much space to they need? Any special foods? Special water conditions? Please and thanks!

To start off... It's Newb.

As in newbie.

Now that's out the way where do I start?

Most snails stay small, with the exception of some freakishly large mystery snails, and are fairly easy to care for.

Space isn't really an issue, a 2.5 gal tank would be enough space for a single snail to roam happily.

Food is easy too, some eat algae others eat other snails so finding which you want is the main point first.

I'm tired now so I've probably typed a load of jibberish so forgive me any mistakes lol. :)

Cool! Thanks... I will now do some more research and maybe a snail in the future :)

I've seen it spelled both ways.

If you're thinking about mystery snails, they are cute, but I recommend getting ONE. I got two, and the egg sacs are a pain to get rid of. Not to mention the time I somehow missed one and it hatched.

Snails in general are scavengers and will eat pretty much anything. They are the cleaning crews of a tank. Apple snails are the largest and carry their own bioload while pond snails and trumpet snails are considered pests.

IMO snails are very beneficial to tanks. They scavenge left over food and help remove algae and dead plant matter. I have 'pest snails' in all my tanks (except goldfish because they are eaten instantly). The population will not get out of control unless you over feed the tank. Most snails don't need supplementing. Larger snails like apple/mystery snails will. They are very easy to care for.

I have three nerite snails in my tank, they are cute and fun to watch. I don't do anything to care for them seperately; they must find food somehow and although there's no visible algae in my tank I'm sure they're eating something. I've had two for about six months now and got another recently and they seem to be doing well. I also have two little pond snails that came in on some live plants and they're doing well too.

I've had 2 nerite snails in the last 6 months and have lost both. I did see my swordtails picking on them. So maybe that's why. ANyone have any knowledge about fish that pick on snails?

Snails are easy to care for. I am a habitual overfeeder so I avoid mystery snails and ramshorns like the plague. Assassins are sweet and easy to care for!

I have a thriving tank full of pretty ramshorns. Babies everywhere! Don't do much specific for them other than dropping in the occasional algae wafer to supplement the food the fish don't eat. I raise them for puffer food.

I have a bunch of rams horn and another type nerite I guess they hitchhiked on some live plants I bought and have reproduced like crazy I probably overfeed though, but I have a lot of scavengers and the tanks stay clean and water tests ok. But in about 2 months I've went from 2-3 snails to 30+ too numerous to count. My ghost shrimp will eat one every now and then and I like them. I dont take any special care of them so I'd say they are very easy to take care of.

Wow... Thanks for all the feed back! When my tank is done cycling ( which should a week or so Yay!) I think I shall get one... Any tips on good sellers? I don't want to get live creatures from petland or other chains bc that's how I got ick in my tank -_-

I got two batches of ramshorns from sellers on eBay. They ship well. I'll look up the sellers when I get a chance.

Mlani said:
When I asked about apple snails, another fantastic member provided me with this link.
http://www.applesnail.net/
Hopefully it will help you out too :)

Ok I bought 3 mystery snails/apple snails they started laying eggs so I took 2 back and left 1 I just finished crushing all the eggs I could see on the site it said their layed above the waterline to try to prepare for this by willing the water alllll the way to the top I took out the ones on the hood and crushed the ones that were underwater am I safe now??

I have 1 gold snail and 4 zebra nerite. They are awesome! They are fun to watch. I am surprisingly attached. But they are great cleaners! My tank is about spotless. I still have to do my water changes but no scrubbing my glass or decor :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom