Can Carbon effect cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I know there is controversy where carbon is concerned, but I'm not sure what it is all about. I have an aquaclear power filter where you can add your own media. Will a carbon packet have a negative effect on a fishless cycle?

It will hold beneficial bacteria however when you change the carbon you'll lose 1/3 of it when you change the carbon in your aquaclear. In my opinon, don't use it. I use an extra ceramic bio media in its place. You could get an extra sponge or just use the blue and white floss too. I have just dealt with a cycle crash and am speaking with experience in exactly this situation. I will never use carbon unless removal of medication or tannins from driftwood are necessary. Just my two cents.

Fishy123 said:
Okay, I know there is controversy where carbon is concerned, but I'm not sure what it is all about. I have an aquaclear power filter where you can add your own media. Will a carbon packet have a negative effect on a fishless cycle?

How big is your tank? If it is in your signature, I can't see it unfortunately as I am using this awesome app. I am running an Aquaclear 50 and 70 on my 55 gallon. That way I can stagger rinse my filter media in dechlorinated water. I use prime exclusively now (no carbon anymore either) and not interfere with my cycle too much. Also be very careful not to overfeed the fish, this can contribute to problems as well. Hope this helps

carbon is actually a porous material that can hold a lot of beneficial bacteria.

I have a 10g that I run an Aquaclear 50, on low, and an Aqueon 20. I just noticed that the filter has carbon inside. The tank is cycled with correct water parameters. I guess I should just leave the carbon in there then since it probably contains good stuff.

Thanks Deckape. I have a 40 gal breeder with a aquaclear 70 on it. I took the carbon out, vacuumed up some nasty stuff someone told me to try (dried enzyme stuff) added some dechlored water. I think I will try again. I will go buy an addition sponge or more ceramics this weekend.

I have a 10g that I run an Aquaclear 50, on low, and an Aqueon 20. I just noticed that the filter has carbon inside. The tank is cycled with correct water parameters. I guess I should just leave the carbon in there then since it probably contains good stuff.

Yeah leaving it in there is ok, it harbors a ton of beneficial bacteria, even if it's not water polishing anymore.

Fishy123 said:
Thanks Deckape. I have a 40 gal breeder with a aquaclear 70 on it. I took the carbon out, vacuumed up some nasty stuff someone told me to try (dried enzyme stuff) added some dechlored water. I think I will try again. I will go buy an addition sponge or more ceramics this weekend.

You're welcome

Back
Top Bottom