Can/do corydoras chew on fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Cougrrr

Aquarium Advice Regular
After a disastrous experience with kuhli loaches in my betta tank, I'm nervous about adding even the seemingly gentle cories to my tank. My betta, Patches, has a habit of sleeping on the bottom of the tank. While he was napping, I caught the (well-fed) kuhli loaches in the act of sucking on and shredding his tails! His fins are now in shambles, I've given the kuhli's to a petstore, and now my poor ragged betta has gotten sick with ich! :bawl:

Can/do corydoras ever chew on fins? Can they be nippy? Or are they truly as peaceful as they are made out to be? I can't find any information on whether they even have teeth or could be capable of inflicting damage on another fish.

My cories seem to be responsible for my fin issue with the betta, not sure yet gonna observe tonight with the lights off.

I've never seen any nipping from any species of cory. They are one fish that I would consider completely safe.

Yeah when I had corys they were probably the most passive species in the tank

I am trying one last thing before moving either the betta to a 10g or the cories, not sure which ones yet. I got some live plants today due to the fins and plastic plants. I am picking them up tonight, They are prepping them for immediate tank use for me for no extra charge( petsmart whoda thunk)
I think that the plants will be enough to keep the betta out of the way at night. I took out his favorite plants because they were slicing his fins. Everyone ive talked to tells me its not the cories, however I believe what I see more then I hear and I saw two of em taking on the betta.

Only solid advice I got was maybe they like the way his fins taste...I laughed but the convo went serious real quickly.

I also as ive said before am a firm believer in personality not species. I used to have a red devil that was a community and had another one that was all by himself cause he couldnt stop eating the other fish.

I appreciate the replies! I'll give some cories a try when my tank is clear of ich and see how it goes.

WhiteDevil, I had some problems with plants cutting my betta's fins, too. My brother learned a trick online and now I swear by it, too: take a pair of pantyhose and run it along the plants; if it snags the hose, it will snag a betta's fins. I test all my decor that way because I'm too intimidated yet to try real plants. Perhaps in the future...

Nah, Im just going to use live plants instead.

Im not even sure if its the cories or fin rot or neither. He flared on a serpae tonight and I saw ALL his fins, they arent tall but show new growth, Maybe he didnt flare big for me and it looked ragged? who knows, im not sure. I am gonna lower the temp tomorrow back to 78.

Back
Top Bottom