Can fish sense a storm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I swear my Africans sensed the nasty thunderstorms we've been having recently. I've watched them and they seem to kinda bug out or all swim to one side or hide as the thunder crashes down and the lightning lights up the house.

Can it be?

Yes! Because they have organs called swim bladders that can sense the change in pressure of the water that a storm causes! I have a golden dojo loach (also known as a weather loach) and they are crazy during storms! Some fish will be more sensitive than others but all fish will sense the difference in pressures and respond to it.

Tropicallie said:
Yes! Because they have organs called swim bladders that can sense the change in pressure of the water that a storm causes! I have a golden dojo loach (also known as a weather loach) and they are crazy during storms! Some fish will be more sensitive than others but all fish will sense the difference in pressures and respond to it.

Cool, thanks for the response and the great information. I'm gonna read up on it.

Back
Top Bottom