Can food change the color of water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacksonJunglist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently changed to Omega One Super Color Flakes. Now my water is turning to a orange/brown color. I got this tank started about a month ago with a Fluval 306 canister filter which came with carbon. Is it possible that the food is coloring my water or is it that the carbon needs to be changed? I do have two large pieces of driftwood in my 45 gallon but I didn't see the problem until shortly after I changed the food.

I also use Omega One products. Never had a problem with water coloring. It's probably the driftwood. As for the carbon, IMO best not to run carbon in your filter. Remove it then fill the void with additional bio media. The extra BB far outweighs any benefit the carbon might provide.

I read that the carbon helps with discoloration. It also says to change it every month. Since the first month has expired, it is possible that my existing carbon was working to counteract the driftwood's tannin effect and is no longer working? I did really doubt that the fish food (although the ingredients do contain artificial color) is changing the water color. I did a 50% water change, and the water cleared up almost entirely, but after a few days, the discoloration is coming back.

I have a lot of driftwood in my display tank, Malaysian and Manzanita. Some larger pieces still leach tannins into the water after several years. Especially the Malaysian. Presently it only stains the water like weak tea. After the weekly WC, crystal clear but after 4 or 5 days, light tea again. Although initially I soaked the driftwood in a bucket of hot water, I was impatient and placed it in the tank much too soon. As a result, the first few months my tank water looked liked weak coffee. After a while I got used to it. I think the fish liked it. Over time the tannins diminish. The carbon I used to run in my filters had little effect.

Right, but the driftwood has been in the tank since day one. I did boil the pieces before placing them, and the tank remained crystal clear until it rapidly changed color at the one month mark. I changed the carbon out last night, so I'll do another water change tonight to see what happens.

I recently changed to Omega One Super Color Flakes. Now my water is turning to a orange/brown color. I got this tank started about a month ago with a Fluval 306 canister filter which came with carbon. Is it possible that the food is coloring my water or is it that the carbon needs to be changed? I do have two large pieces of driftwood in my 45 gallon but I didn't see the problem until shortly after I changed the food.

Hello Jac...

Providing you're using a good product, there's nothing in flaked food that will color the tank water. Carbon is fine to use, but large, weekly water changes will do the same job. Save your money.

Tannic acid leached from pieces of driftwood will turn the tank water an amber color. Again, large, weekly water changes will, over time, take care of the problem.

If you're keeping the tank water extremely clean, you have nothing to worry about.

B

Definitely think it's the driftwood my manzilla still leaks tannins 5 years later - haven't used carbon in years

Back
Top Bottom