Can I add cory catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ENB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm upgrading my platys and mollies from a 10gal to a 25gal, and have been eyeing cory catfish as an addition to my new tank. I plan to set this up with gravel and slightly brackish water, but I'm not sure after reading a bit that these conditions would be ok for cory cats. Do I need to do sand instead? Is a little salt in the water acceptable for them?

I'd love any insight and advice on these fish, and whether they would do well in my tank. Thanks in advance!:fish2:

Corys don't do brackish. Neither do Platies AFAIK. Mollies, yes.

Mollies can handle fresh. I usually recommend 30g or larger for Mollies. They hit 3-5" as adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I prefer smooth sand over gravel, but rounded pea gravel is ok if it's kept clean.

That's interesting. I've been told that a little salinity is good for maintaining the health of a number of freshwater fishies, including platys, but you never know if you're getting good advice. Luckily my two platys haven't seemed to mind.

At any rate, I am happy to keep my new tank straight freshwater (I'm just setting it up today), and also to get sand so I'll have the option to add cory cats later on. How is sand maintained? I've only ever had gravel, but I'm guessing it isn't cleaned the same way Any other advice? I just think the catfish are so neat, and would love to have them if my tank conditions allow.

Also, I hear you on space but actually my adult fish are all about 2" in length and should be happy for a good while in the 25gal, I think. Thanks!

Skip on the brackish conditions. You don't need them. If your tank won't be too heavily stocked you can have a few corydoras. They definitely would appreciate sand, but round gravel is fine. Anything that won't damage their barbels. They are easily a favorite of mine and I highly recommend them.

If you are only doing Livebearers you can add a Tablespoon of Salt per 5g. But with Cories and plants ( you'll want plants) ,no salt is best.

Your Fish

Hi! I'm upgrading my platys and mollies from a 10gal to a 25gal, and have been eyeing cory catfish as an addition to my new tank. I plan to set this up with gravel and slightly brackish water, but I'm not sure after reading a bit that these conditions would be ok for cory cats. Do I need to do sand instead? Is a little salt in the water acceptable for them?

I'd love any insight and advice on these fish, and whether they would do well in my tank. Thanks in advance!:fish2:

Hello ENB...

A 25 gallon tank is pretty small for larger fish like Platys and Mollies. The females of both species will be especially cramped. The potential for fry would make a tank this size too small.

I keep a lot of Platys and Corydoras and the smallest tank I keep them in is 45 gallons. This provides some room for the fry to grow.

Livebearing fish like Platys and Mollies will definitely benefit from adding a bit of standard aquarium salt to their tank water. A teaspoon or two for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water is sufficient. The Corydoras will have no problems with this amount and any aquarium plants will be fine.

B

If adult Mollies are 2" are these Balloon Mollies ? Otherwise they are severely stunted.

Females esp, get Big.

Platies can live in a 25g their whole life, but if you have babies, it can get crowded fast.

The Mollies you see at the stores are mostly juveniles.

I have corys, platys and Mollie's all in brackish water and they love it. When I say brackish-I just add enough aquarium salt to keep their gills healthy!

Taylor

I have corys, platys and Mollie's all in brackish water and they love it. When I say brackish-I just add enough aquarium salt to keep their gills healthy!

Taylor

That's not brackish then. That's Freshwater with a little salt.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html

How long have you had the Cory Cats ? Some can live longer than 10yrs in good conditions. C aeneus can live 20yrs

Since Planet Catfish has a worldwide membership, with many breeders, I follow their recommendations.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27557

I'll use salt for Ich but not for every day.

Taylor
The only way to create brackish conditions is to use marine salt, like Instant Ocean. Aquarium salt doesn't raise the salinity.

Back
Top Bottom