Can I add plants while treating tank for Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malisa_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been dosing daily with Quick Cure while keeping the tank at about 88-90. (not purposefully at 90...but the fish don't seem to care)
I had to remove the filter and my precious bacteria because the carbon couldn't be removed. I am now using a brand new filter AND my Bio-wheel halts often enough that I'm sure its worthless. (I strongly dislike my penguin filter btw)
Anyhow. I was concerned about nitrates since I now have a new filter and I have two GBRs in there which I know are sensitive. Can I throw in a couple bunches of anacharis on top to sponge up some of the nitrates or should I wait til after treatment?
I currently have a small group of anacharis and about twenty vallisneria? plants. I'm not positive thats what they are but it looks like tall grass and sends out runners with new little plants. (both are weathering the heat and meds fine)

And also...are there any other plants that would be happy in a tank with no ferts/co2/etc like the anacharis and grass stuff is? I have pool filter sand substrate. I'm mainly just looking for one shorter plant(6") for the foreground and one tall one for a back corner. I have a piece of driftwood that I would like to secure an anubias to also. Any suggestions?
thanks!
20 High with hard, alkaline water.I plan on keeping the tank at 80 after treatment is over. Two CFL 9? watt daylight bulbs. (I planted a tiny top of a plant that the pet store scooped up with the anacharis. this was 3ish months ago and it looked half dead til i put the cfl bulbs in a couple weeks ago. Now it has about an inch of new growth on top so I'm guessing the lights work for plants okay)
Houses 2 guppies, 7 pristella tetra, 2 gbr, 4 kuhli loaches

Aquarium Plants

Hello Mal...

The "Ich" parasites need an animal host, so plants are unaffected by them. But, plants don't tolerate high levels of aquarium salt or strong chemicals and prefer cooler water temperatures. So, for these three reasons, I wouldn't want to put any plants into a tank that's being treated for "Ich".

B

Back
Top Bottom