Can I care for rams? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi there! The other day I was at a pet store ( not my LFS ) and was looking at their tanks. Suddenly, two little yellow flashes darted from behind a rock and looked at me. They were golden rams. They chased my fingers and watched my walk around and I decided I had to get some of those spunky little guys. I have an LFS that sells quality wild, blue, bolivian, electric blue, longfin, and golden rams. I was thinking of buying a pair of longfin golden rams. The problem is I don't know if I should get them, because I am afraid I won't be able to care for them properly. If I up my water changes to 25% twice a week would that be okay? Is my pH (7.4) too high? Do they only need live plants? Is my tank (29 gal. tall) too small? I came here to get advice from real people with experience and opinions about if I should go ahead and get some or wait until I can care for them properly. My tank is sparsely planted on one side with a patch of sand for my cory cats, it has a floating plant for endler fry, and it's densely planted on one side. All plants are plastic except one anubias nana. The other fish are 6 cardinal and 5 diamond tetras, 2 pearl gouramis, 7 endlers, 4 cory cats, and that's it. I'm worried about the diamond tetras and the gouramis being too aggressive and nippy for the rams or the plastic plants shredding their fins. Thanks for helping me with my ram problem

Should be fine, keep nitrates below 20 and feed quality food.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. Yeah, I'll keep nitrates down. I feed my fish TetraMin flakes, TetraColor pellets, frozen bloodworms, fish-safe table scraps, and dried crushed shrimp. If I get rams I'll probably get some discus food, spirulina flakes, and cichlid pellets as well as the other food. A variety is best after all.

Back
Top Bottom