Can I fishlessly cycle a bucket of water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting a new 35G tank for Christmas, which I obviously don't have yet. In preparation for this I've just bought a TetraTec EX700 external canister filter ( http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/big...cEXfilters.htm )

I would like for this filter to be up and running and capable of filtering my existing bioload (see sig) when I install the tank. But as I don't have the tank yet, would it be feasible to just use a bucket of water, which I put the input and output tubes into and add my ammonia source into that instead?

Possible problems could be that the bucket is about 4.2 gallons so about 3.5 usable space and of course it doesn't have a heater.

Congratulations!

Yes, you can fishless cycle any sizable container of water. The reason we generally cycle in a tank, though, is that ppm of ammonia changes with volume. So 4ppm in a 3.5gal bucket would be .4 ppm. More ammonia could stall the cycle, but .4ppm is 1/10th the ammonia you want to start with!

If it is possible, run the canister on your existing 17gal tank. This will seed the filter. Or, when you set up the new tank, put the old hob media in your canister (in an area near the inflow) and transfer the substrate. This will basically be an exact bio-load match - just watch for a mini-cycle for a few days.

If it is possible, run the canister on your existing 17gal tank

I had thought about that but there are difficulties in getting the filter correctly positioned for it, plus the filter is designed for 100-250 litres, so I fear that plus the existing filter (which is already over-powered) might harras the current occupants a bit too much!

This will seed the filter. Or, when you set up the new tank, put the old hob media in your canister (in an area near the inflow) and transfer the substrate. This will basically be an exact bio-load match - just watch for a mini-cycle for a few days.
Don't have a HOB! Existing tanks have internal filters. I do intend to run the internal from the old tank in the new tank for a little while, which in theory should be enough but I'd rather give the cansiter a head start so I can get rid of the internal much quicker.

PS. I do intend on putting a hand full of gravel out of my guppy tank into the bucket which should hopefully speed things along. But I've got until Christmas at least to get things going.

in a case like yours, i would do everything possible to get the canister up and running on the existing tank. from what i am reading, that filter comes with a spray bar which should disperse the return flowrate to a tolerable level...

if you set it up on the 17 for aprox 2 weeks before you get your new tank.. then move some gravel, old filter media and the new canister into the new tank.. you should have no problems.

+1 for keeping an eye out for a mini-cycle just to be sure.

It does indeed have a spray bar yes, and adjustable flow. Although I haven't tried any of this out yet to see how feasible it might be!

I might see if I can set it up on my 17G but on a reasonably low flow rate.

Just put the mechanical and biological media from the canister in the existing tank. There's no need to actually run the filter in order to seed the media. By Christmas it should be teeming with bacteria and you'll be good to go.

BigJim.. yet again you amaze me with your knowledge. always picking up where the rest of us slack! awesome suggestion! and a very "DUH" moment for me!

I'm sure I picked up that tip somewhere else.

I have two basic rules I follow with my aquariums:

1. The KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid!

2. When in doubt, build it stout, out of stuff you know about.

Keeps me out of a lot of trouble.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom