Can I get some HC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWerner13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have posted a number of plant light fert etc questions on here but I just keep coming up with more!

With 40watts over a 10 gallon would I be able to grow HC? I have CO2 and I plan on getting ferts to start dosing next week. Basically do I have enough light? If yes...

Does anyone have any extra HC they'd be willing to part with?

You can grow it. It might not grow as compact as you like with 40W, but it will grow.

What do you mean exactly? Will it eventually cover the substrate just slower or likely never spread over everything? Also Does it require a certain substrate? As I have mentioned before I now have mostly Eco-Complete but I also have a small layer of gravel left

With 40W over a 10g tank, I would imagine it would grow up rather than out (toward the light). With CO2 and ferts it will survive. It is an extremely slow grower though.

Hmm well then I will probably wait on it then. I just got a job at Petland so I am waiting to see what kinds of discounts I get. They have a pretty good selection of T5HO so I might either get a replacement light or extra light. In your opinion how many more watts would bump me up into the high light range? I know its subjective and hard to be exact.

Shoot I don't know. The HC might do ok with 40W. I think 60W would be better, but again, it is subjective. HC grows ok in my 5 gal tank with 27W, but it grows painfully slow. It is very green and healthy looking though.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just wait and see what kind of discount and what products I can get my hands on.

Start dosing ferts when you get the HC (or before) and keep u
p on dosing regularly. HC loves co2 and needs to have enough nutrients to grow and thrive IME.

T5HO lights are awesome by the way. :)

If you have regular fluorescent bulbs now, then I'd say you will need more light to get the HC to grow compact and fill in fast. It will probably grow taller. If you have a compact fluorescent fixture that is 40w, I think you'd have a better chance of it growing compact as long as you give it enough co2 and nutrients.

I have CF. I will probably just wait a bit and find out if I will either upgrade or simply add more light to the mix. I would rather it have enough light to grow no problem.

I say go for it. If it doesn't do well you'll still learn a lot about the plant if you make careful observations.

The next problem would be acquiring it. Its not exactly a common LFS plant. Lol

Ironically enough, I've actually seen HC for sale several times at Walmart.

I'd recommend posting in the Barter/Trade and Classifieds forums to locate HC from other members. Once it warms up in another month or so you'll start seeing more plant listings from those of us in the northern states.

The very best plants I have ever had have been from other hobbyists, and every once in a while you'll see a nifty one at an LFS if you keep your eyes open, as Purrbox mentions.

Definitely as the weather warms it is super easy to ship plant cuttings. Then again, finding/forming a local club will yield amazing results, also. You'd be surprised to learn about advanced hobbyists living right in your neighborhood. Trading plants, fish and equipment is a snap with a local club.

Back
Top Bottom