Can I handle 12 Demasoni + 3-4 Y Labs? 46 bow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GivenToFly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, finally got water in my tank tonight, so I'm quite some time away from getting any fish. Looking forward though, I really like the above combination and from searches it seems it should work.

I do want the fish to be happy and comfortable, so I tried to provide as much hiding places as possible. Let me know if you think this will work, or if you have any advice with set-up or other fish combos that may be better. Thanks!

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 76
I wouldn't try it in a 3ft tank, and with that stock list I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 75g. Demasoni have such a high conspecific aggression that being in a small confined space would be chaos.

Alright, back to the drawing board.

Maybe I'll look into dwarf species. Could I do one Demasoni, a few Labs, and maybe a couple other fish?

I would stick to a species only tank with Pseudotropheus saulosi or Cynotilapia afra cobue or something along those lines.

HUKIT said:
I would stick to a species only tank with Pseudotropheus saulosi or Cynotilapia afra cobue or something along those lines.

If I may add those are both great fish if I was only sitting at my computer I would show you some pics.

Hukit I'm liking you more and more and learning more and more from watching you. :) great advice

The saulosi look great. That'll satisfy the yellow/orange and blue and black colors I'm looking for. The color morph sounds interesting too.

Finding these guys might be difficult. The only thing within 30 minutes is Petsmart/Petco, although I have three fish only stores within 15 minutes of work. Luckily I have time to research and hunt.

Thanks again!

I order roughly 90% of my fish online, here is where ALL my africans came from.

Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish-Price List

Any recommandions for number I could handle? Or if they can go with any other fish. It seems some people add certain types of cat fish or giant danios with certain cichlids.

Sorry for all the questions, I do try to find information by searching before asking, but can't always find specifics.

The problem with demasoni is they need to be in a group of 12 plus fish or you will end up with just 1.Its a kinda hide in the crowd scenario.You really need a 55 gallon plus to house a group of dems.

Any recommandions for number I could handle? Or if they can go with any other fish. It seems some people add certain types of cat fish or giant danios with certain cichlids.

Sorry for all the questions, I do try to find information by searching before asking, but can't always find specifics.

I would shoot for 8-10 fish with one male to three-four females. I'd keep this a strict species tank with a bristlenose plec and calling it stocked.

Back
Top Bottom