can i mix Flourite with soil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nadia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody! This is my first post!
I am wondering if anyone has tried to mix Flourite substrate with garden top soil to grow aquarium plants?
I know people have been using just garden top soil and have had great results, and people also have great results with Flourite...so what about mixing the two and putting a layer of aquarium gravel on top? I know that plant growth also depends on Light and CO2, so if all these factors are present, what would be the result?
If you have done this, could you share your experience pls?

I am just getting into the Planted Aquariums, so i am very curious.
Thanks!

Nadia

not a pro at this but im sure u can.

what u can do is .. get some red clay and mix it with the top soil.
no need for Flourite, cause Flourite is pretty much just red clay. buying a bag of Flourite will cost more than buying a bag of red clay.

floruite would be better as a cap then anything. flourite doesnt have much then some trace minerals. what it does have is a good CEC allowing it to take up ferts from the water and have them to release for the roots as needed.

if u come up with something, do let me know .. im still looking for a substrate for my BW tank.

maybe ill just do .. top soil,red clay and some black sand or maybe just str8 up soil n clay

Yeah, i will let you know, i do a lot of research on this matter and so far people rave about top soil mixed with clay and something on top that would keep the soil down..i don't have a tank set up right now, but i will in a few months, i am thinking of doing an experiment with just soil, with just flurite and a mix of soil and clay and see what results i will get..

Turface is a good alternative to fluorite, whether mvp or pro league. It's basically the same thing, fired clay, with a high cec

Ok, so i got more info from some other ppl from other forum.

a person name DAN. he use top soil cow manure. and rushy nails for iron.
he have very good results on on for yrs now.

maybe u should try something like that.

im not sure about algea.

he wrote:

I have had great success with the topsoil made from aged cow manure. It is extremely high in nutrients. I pay $2 for a 40lb bag. I use it in around 75 of my tanks and have not had any noticeable problems.

I buy it at our local Lowes store. It is cow manure that has been composted to the point of it basically being dirt again. Since it is comprised of basically organic material it contains a high nutrient level, which will sustain a planted tank for many years.

I put a thin layer of the topsoil. Then add a layer of rusty nails for iron. Then add about 2" of pea gravel from a local hardware store. Once the plants roots reach the topsoil, you will see a drastic change in your plants growth rates. I have had awesome feedback from many people on the success of this simple setup.

he one of the person who work for www.sweetaquatics.com
or maybe the owner?

I guess if you cap it... I don't have much experience with this, but having that much nutrients just under your gravel makes me nervous.

idk, the plants i order from that site do come nice n green.

if he can throw down that many plants to sell everyday, im sure it will work.

I guess if you cap it... I don't have much experience with this, but having that much nutrients just under your gravel makes me nervous.
see thats the thing the layered substrates are better off for more experienced users. when you plant and replant it mixes it up. layering is great if you set it up and leave it. many people starting out not sure how this or that is going it look often replant a lot. also people who like to change their set up a lot.

see thats the thing the layered substrates are better off for more experienced users. when you plant and replant it mixes it up. layering is great if you set it up and leave it. many people starting out not sure how this or that is going it look often replant a lot. also people who like to change their set up a lot.

lol, that's me..

thats me too i am never happy and tend to move things around a lot. i have 1 tank there i have planted and never moved thing and thats my 120 crypt tank.

This is a great discussion, i am so happy that this many people sre interested in planted tanks! Are you guys in US or Canada or somewhere else? I'm in Canada..:)..just wondering if anyone can recommend a site to buy some lights and plants, good quality and not too expensive?

This is a great discussion, i am so happy that this many people sre interested in planted tanks! Are you guys in US or Canada or somewhere else? I'm in Canada..:)..just wondering if anyone can recommend a site to buy some lights and plants, good quality and not too expensive?

The classifieds is usually a good way to get some clippings and plant overgrowth. I'd suggest the ah supply retrofit kits for light though. It requires some diy work, but from what I've read, the light output versus a similarly priced fixture, but with more bulbs is about the same, because the reflectors.

36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

And btw, the hamster thing I found on some site :p. I had to take out every other frame and back down to 8 bit color or something for it to actually work on this site. ><

Back
Top Bottom