Can I put a pair of clownfish in my refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to add a bigger refugium, like 20-30 gallons, and I wanted to know if I could put a pair of clownfish in it. Can I? My only concern would be if the macro grows to big for them to swim around. But I guess I could just trim it right? I REALLY want clowns but for my grouper they will be appetizers. LOL. Thanks.

I wouldnt add clowns to a refugium, it wouldnt be fair to them to be so enclosed. :-(

Just my opinion though....

My opinion isnt based on the size, just the quality of life. When do you have your refugium lights running? In my case I run them overnight against the daylight ones. That would seem kinda odd for them to be sleeping in the daytime. Plus theres no chance to really view them, dont you want to see them all the time? I know I would.

What I would do is run the lights during the day with the tank and then run a seperate light in my sump. I will also grow macro in there. Caulerpa in sump chaeto w/ clowns. I would hook it up on the other wall using long hoses so it would be like a seperate tank but a fuge. Would that work?

carey said:
I wouldnt add clowns to a refugium, it wouldnt be fair to them to be so enclosed. :-(

Just my opinion though....

I agree with Carey, that's not fair for the clowns. I would look into getting another tank.

If you did a 50 then the clowns would be loving it..I personally think the clowns would be fine in a 30 anyway,,but like said already,,whats the point of putting them in a sump...Just get rid of the grouper:lol:,and you could really fill up your 150 with some smaller fish..
the grouper is probably going to need a bigger tank anyway

FTMMWS said:
If you did a 50 then the clowns would be loving it..I personally think the clowns would be fine in a 30 anyway,,but like said already,,whats the point of putting them in a sump...Just get rid of the grouper:lol:,and you could really fill up your 150 with some smaller fish..
the grouper is probably going to need a bigger tank anyway

O yea, this is what I would do. Nicely said!

The tank will be connected with pumps and long hoses against the bottom of the wall and on a different wall so it looks like a different tank. I am not getting rid of my grouper. Hes proly my fav. fish. This is going to be seperate from the sump. Sump in stand, fuge like another display tank.

And the honeycombs get to a MAX of 12", usually smaller. He should be fine for a long time if not life.

Back
Top Bottom