Can i put any fish in with my male betta? maybe 2-3 females?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I agree on the 1 inch thing. Some fish use more than their quota, some use far less.

I have a 2 10 gallon tanks, each one with zebra danios, white clouds and one very grumpy male betta. The male bettas are not interested in the other fish at all and there have been no issues. I think it really depends on your betta. I haven't tried any female bettas with them but I am afraid of the chaos! If you do try it, please let us know how it goes!

redruckus said:
you might be able to put 2 females in with him in a 5gal just pay atention if they are fighting take them out

Two female bettas in with a male? No, the only time you should put a female and a male together is during breeding. And even then the female must be taken away as soon as she lays the eggs. The male will attack the females, especially in that size of tank. A five gallon is really only big enough for one fish, and is basically supposed to be the minimum with bettas.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I'd not look at fish per say and start looking into other options. There are a lot of cool looking shrimp and snails out there that would love a 5 gallon. I myself have a 5 gallon with one happy male betta, and am starting research into a dwarf African frog to go with him. As to the 6 neons, that's what was in this tank initially before one died and I found here. A good rule to stocking, ask for advise on these forums after you've researched a possibility you like. Go with what majority tells you, not the one reply that's in left field. Everyone here cares about your fish's well being so if it comes off offensive it's not meant to, just a push in the right direction!

I think other have already said this, but I don't remember if they did. With shrimp, and especially with a Betta, you need to be very careful. A Betta will easily see a shrimp as a snack. It could probably be done with lots of cover fir the shrimp, but I wouldn't be too surprised if your shrimp go missing! ;)

I think it's all in the betta, because I have them in with my females no problem. They're just ghost shrimp though so for the 33 cents it's a cheap tasty snack if it ends that way, makes for an even happier betta!

the guy at the shop said to him he thinks one could be a male so have seprated him right away just to be safe. Right so that leaves me two what look like females my little red one who i found out by looking up on the internet is a double tail which i was suprised about she is in with the seprated male and they seem very happy and all i could say is loved up from what i watched this morning lol. the other one is in with my other male midnight who every so often decideds to give chase would i be better put her (peace i called her) in with my other two she came with last night. only wish my patner let me know what he was doing 1st to be honest. I also have a new 11 liter tank for them is that good or bad?

If I'm reading this right your keeping males with females. Which is a huge NO, minus the fact that they may be getting "along" that male will rip her to shreds. They are only kept together to breed even then females can be injured. And on the off chance they do breed, you could get up to 100 fry, which will all need separate containers. You really should have done some extra research before just jumping into that one. Take your ladies back immediately if you can't house them apart, or your about to have a nasty fight.

Very Sorry was not expecting my parnter to go out and get me them! Right my main males the ones i know for sure are males are in there own tanks on there OWN. My 3 that were got for me last night are now in on there own i got my partner to move them for me. Sorry but they were a suprise for me he did not know or check with me first.

That did come off mean, sorry about that. As for the shrimp, start off cheap with some ghost shrimp, they're readily available. And theyre less than a dollar. Just to test the water if your betta will eat them, if he doesn't you can go with nicer looking ones. Such as bamboo, cherry, bumblebee, I think there's a blue variety, there are tons, just depends on what you have access too.

Its ok i would never intentionaly hurt any of my fish. but i am going to ask how for sure would i know if one of the ones he got me last night is a male? cool will give them a shoot. thank you

newtropical said:
Its ok i would never intentionaly hurt any of my fish. but i am going to ask how for sure would i know if one of the ones he got me last night is a male? cool will give them a shoot. thank you

You'll be able to tell. The males are very colorful and have long flowing tails. The females have a different kind of beauty. They are less colorful and have shorter tails.

<---- this is midnight one of my males he was one of the first i got on sunday i have another his pic is on my profile there my boys. Then i have the 3 that were got for me last nite i will get the pics and put them up as im really unsure. Sorry to be a pain.

newtropical said:
<---- this is midnight one of my males he was one of the first i got on sunday i have another his pic is on my profile there my boys. Then i have the 3 that were got for me last nite i will get the pics and put them up as im really unsure. Sorry to be a pain.

No it's not a pain. It's not a problem for us to help you. That's what we are here for.

Back
Top Bottom