Can I really only have one beta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jameslysaghtsr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I love Beta. I have always had one beta in any tank. We have two tanks right now, a 16 gallon with glow fish and a beta, and a 55 gallon with neons, a cichlid, a gourami, a molly and a beta. I have never had problems with a beta in my tanks. They seem to be calm, peaceful, playful fish that leave the others alone. The one in the 55 Gallon loves to swim t the bottom, get into the air bubble from a bubbler stone, and ride them to the top. He does it over and over. It's fun to watch!

But any time I mention the beta at a fish store they have a fit and don't want to sell me any other fish "You can't have a beta with Neons" "You can't have a beta with Glow Fish" "You can't have a beta with..."

So this begs the question: What happens if I put two beta in a 55 Gallon tank?

James

You'll most likely go back to having one betta, worse for the wear I'm sure. Theyre called fighting fish for a reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have never had problems with a betta picking a fight with a different species, with the exception of a male guppy. Male bettas on fight with each other. They usually get picked on by other fish because their long flowing tails are so tempting.

I had one in a community tank years back and it was all fine for I guess a month or two. It took offence to a three spot gourami which then decided to get the betta back and had to shift the betta out.

I've had a betta in a tank with my neons and khuli's for several months and everybody gets along. Betta was the last one added to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a betta in a tank we sell plants in an in a rack with cories an neom tetras everyone is good together. Other tank has angelfish bamboo shrimp an dwarf puffer 3 swordtails

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

You can have multiple bettas in a tank, but only females, and you have to have at least four and plenty of plants to break up territories

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom