Can i use orchid potting mix to dirt my tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sebastienb

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is all I have at home at the moment. Wanted to start use my 10 gallon with it. Should be safe ?

image-59148271.jpg

I have read a few times that its not safe to use those type. If you want the Organic Potting Mix is you safest choice.

You have to use an Organic Potting Soil. I use one called Just Natural Organic Potting Soil I get from Lowes. I think 1cu foot was right under $4. You don't have to use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix/Soil if you can't find it.

Yeah, walmart even has these little bags of regular soil for .99. Never use soil with a fert in it.

I don't grow orchids, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't orchid potting mix have chunks of bark and vermiculite in it to keep it loose and porous? That wouldn't be what you'd want for aquarium substrate.

I don't grow orchids, so correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't orchid potting mix have chunks of bark and vermiculite in it to keep it loose and porous? That wouldn't be what you'd want for aquarium substrate.

Even the organic potting mix has chunks of barks and peat moss as well... It's a great choice if you have the patience and time to prepare it. The first time that I did it, I had pour the dirt into my bare aquarium. Take some water and just moisten the dirt to the point where it turns into sort of a slush. Mix it real well so that all the chunks of barks that's in it gets set into either the bottom or the middle section. I removed the chunks that are left on the top.

Let it sit for 1-2 weeks and let everything decompose real good. Once you're satisfied that enough time has gone by, just top it off with cheap sand or substrate.

Or you can just order some eco complete off of petco.com for $19.99 a bag along with some root tab and you'll basically have the same thing and not have to worry about all that dirt flying out when you uproot your plants (which you will at one point or another).

I've been doing planted tanks for years and honestly I've learned it's just as easy to use the chunks and all (unless they are huge). I pour in the soil, moisten it well, compact it tightly with your hand to remove as many air pockets as possible, then cap with the substrate of your choice. I use Eco Complete. I do 1-1/2" of dirt to 1-1/2" of cap. Once your cap is on place a bowl/plate on the top of the cap and very very slowly let the tank fill. If you use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix you won't have too tannin leaching, unlike the Just Natural OP Soil I use. Once the tank is filled turn on your filter. With the MGOPM you can plant the next day. Just remove 50% of the water and plant, heavily if possible, and be sure to add some wisteria or water sprite and some fast growing stem plants to help use up the excess nutrients that the soil will release over the first few weeks. Also I suggest running lights only 6 hours daily for about the first 3 months to help with algae. The soil will start the cycle but if you have enough plants (roughly 80% of the substrate planted) the plants will use the ammonia and nitrates so cycling can often go fairly quickly.

+1 to the MGPOM. The organic potting SOIL contains cow manure but the potting MIX contains chicken manure. The chicken manure will cause less of a spike in ammonia so IMO it is better to use. Also as you said the mix will give you less tannins.

Back
Top Bottom