can mantis shrimp break glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gti_Leo said:
lol they should :p

lets write them an e mail

I think we should..i would watch it for sure. Only problem is, at the end of the show, theyd dump some c4 in the tank. Something always has to go BOOM at the end!! Haha:D

its true if its an empty tank its not a problem but if there is livestock in it it is, even if its a mean mantis shrimp

Stomatopods, or mantis shrimp, do produce a secondary cavitation bubble that hits the target a millisecond after the smashers arm hits the target. The hit can produce up to 200 pounds of force (the peacock mantis shrimp) and is among the fastest blow of any animal. They use it to open up shells and such, so that much concentrated force could break something, up to a point. The 2010 November issue of Coral magazine (available on ipad) was devoted to them and had some awesome pictures. If you were its size it would make the Predator look like a Barbie doll.

I doubt i would ever see him on the glass haha. Hed be through it like that

If you watch IMAX 3d ocean DVD which they recently released there is footage of the attack and sonic boom. Both their hit and sounds have already been 'busted' I'm sure. If one felt inclined it would break through a glass tank easy, the weight and pressure of the water in a tank would also be a factor. They can break bones, armoured shells you name it. Awesome creature.

Lol I would dare anyone that says they can't break glass, to put a ring on their finger and walk over and punch their tank as hard as they can. See if it will break, if you could, they really could! I would never have the bottle to do it though, even to prove a point. Lol

Gti... thats what I was talking about in my response on the last page! And to what you said before...we walk on glass all the time....glass ceilings and such. A plate of tempered can be walked on by a full grown man 50' up in the air without breaking! Glass is strong stuff...it can even bend 5-10 degrees depending on the pane without breaking.

The floor of a tower is hardly the same as a house hold aquarium. Maybe tempered but not inches thick more like mm. Bend it may but with a full tank of water behind it and a small crustacean smashing at it I'm sure it would give. It would crack for sure.

Someone throwing a brick at it is hardly the same either. Is there a video of someone shooting a piece of tempered glass from point blank? Surely that would be the test to do.

Ceiling glass isnt inches thick, its normal 1/4" tempered. I dont have video but i've shot lots of old panes that I get from work. A bullet doesnt gurantee glass breakage...I have had all kinds of rounds bounce on the first shot or two not to break the glass... .22 , 9mm , 45acp , 556 just to name a few that I can remember not breaking on a first shot. Gotta love my buddies Indiana property! Good times!

Sounds like a laugh. But I just cant believe the average sheet of glass can withstand a bullet, most can barely withstand a well aimed football. Until I see it, I'm sticking with the idea glass smashes. I've seen patio doors smash with a bird impact, and I'm still under the belief the average glass fish tank couldn't withstand a punch let alone a bullet. That video of a guy putting his weights through his tank did the rounds a while ago, and from that it looks easy to break a hole.

Back
Top Bottom