Can mollies cross breed with endlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joemamauggly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that they both breed with guppies but the sheer size difference of a sailfin molly and an endlers makes it seem impossible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ummmmmmmm in theory no can't happen. I do beleive it did happen here as I found two very odd fish. I had a trio of Endlers with my brooder sailfins in a 10'x10' pool and out of 700 fish found just two. They were moved to live with my Belonasox so I don't see them anymore.

Although they are in different groups, Guppies, Endlers and Mollies are all in the Poecilia family. So technically, yes but it is very unlikely to ever happen.

Yes it can happen, there are several instances where mollies have crossed with guppies so I'm sure there is an endler cross somewhere. People seem to be a little too quick to write off the possibility of crosses with fish of the same genus, when in fact most of our hybrids are created in such a way.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most hybrids are created in a lab, artificially...

If you kept Them together, I doubt that you would get a cross, it's very, very rare.

I feed my angelfish endlers every once in a while and I'm just making sure my mollies don't get any ideas. They'd likely be eaten anyway

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most hybrids are created in a lab, artificially...

If you kept Them together, I doubt that you would get a cross, it's very, very rare.

Do you have any evidence to support this? I could see a few being done that way but a blanket statement of most hybrids being created in a lab sounds unreasonable to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

By "most" I meant almost all that are commercially available (hybrids sold in pet shops) are man made in a "lab."
Blood parrots, flowerhorn cichlids, electric blue acaras, Glofish are all man made hybrids, that wouldn't/can't cross breed naturally.

Most of the hybrids are then bred to stabilize and produce fry that carry the same traits, however some are infertile.

Hope that makes more sense?

Cross Breds like platy/swordtails, endler/guppy, or various African cichlids can breed naturally, but other than the endler/guppy, are not really purposefully bred that way.

If you want I can look for the links where I read it.

Actually all of the hybrids listed with the exception possiby of parrots are selectively bred for their traits, glofish are genetically engineered not hybrids and I'm pretty sure that EB acara are selectively bred for their traits and not a hybrid at all.

*Technically* Glofish are a jellyfish/coral and tetra/barb/danio hybrid, since it's a mix of 2 species.

Electric blue acaras, are produced by taking the eggs of an acara and fertilized by an electric blue ram(or vice Versa), by in vitro fertilization. The offspring are then bred to maintain a stable color trait.

Flowerhorns are debatable as the exact mix and how it's down is unknown.

I think what I meant to say was, that most hybrids are species which would very rarely meet/breed in nature and are purposely bred in a lab, whether artificially or "naturally".

Electric blue acaras, are produced by taking the eggs of an acara and fertilized by an electric blue ram(or vice Versa), by in vitro fertilization. The offspring are then bred to maintain a stable color trait.

This is still not correct rams and acara are not genetically close enough to create a viable hybrid. The blue acara has all of the genetic material needed to line breed an electric blue strain and if you are going to refer me to a cichlid-forum post, don't bother because the guy saying they are a hybrid obviously a fool because he also refers to the redtail shovelnose as being a farm made cross from Asia, when in fact they have been found as a natural cross is the Amazon.

This is still not correct rams and acara are not genetically close enough to create a viable hybrid. The blue acara has all of the genetic material needed to line breed an electric blue strain and if you are going to refer me to a cichlid-forum post, don't bother because the guy saying they are a hybrid obviously a fool because he also refers to the redtail shovelnose as being a farm made cross from Asia, when in fact they have been found as a natural cross is the Amazon.

That's why they do the IVF, it works as they can combine the genetic material of very different species.

I have several EBA, and they look very different from regular Acaras, (shapewise). I've read it in a lot of places, and I am going to send Segrest fish farms an email and see what they have to say.

I didn't word my initial post very well either, I know the majority of hybrids are naturally bred in tanks, I've seen it myself, whether the majority of this initially occurred in labs was one thing I was wondering, as it happens everywhere now from breeders to in hobbyists tanks. I also thought you were suggesting it was all done via IVF, which I didn't buy either. But I think after clarification you only meant some were IVF, I would narrow that to a few, if any as I haven't seen much proof of that.

On the eb acara note, I'm with gillie, selective breeding Imo produced this, as with ebjd as well.

On the glofish I believe those were originally (specifically the Danio species) pure danio who had jellyfish genes spliced in embryonically and now can reproduce those same genes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes! Glo fish were created with danios and jellyfish genes. They reproduce and it is illegal to sell them if you are not a sanctioned supplier. Meaning of you breed them in your fishroom and sell in Aquabid you are asking for trouble.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey trop... Seagrest is not a viable authority anymore. Once the founder passed (RIP) its gone WAAAAY down hill. Secondly i have seen flowerhorns bred... Vicious lil buggers.also flowerhorns genes vary from fish to fish. Not all are created equal. Ive personally seen EBA breed in tanks. Def not EBR in them as EBR i believe are man made through selective trait breeding. You must remember dedicated responsible hobbyists have been responsible for a lot more than you may be aware of. Lets take discus for example... The first US breedings were not in a lab... They were by a hobbyist in St. Louis in 1929ish. None of the colorful discus fish you see today are anything like their ancestors... But surely not created in a lab. Dedicated, responsible, documenting hobbyists. Not that labs cant/dont play a roll... Ahem glofish. But its not as common as you think.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have to admit not really much evidence out there...

I always thought it was strange as well with the EB acara, and I agree it's highly unlikely for it to be a ram/acara mix.

As to Glofish, i find it ridiculous that you can patent a live animal! I mean, there's no sign at my lfs that says you can't breed them, nor do I sign anything! I highly doubt there is a "Glofish" police. Although I think you can legally resell them, right(buy at lfs, sell on AB)?

I also was curious about what you would get if you breed the different colors together! Since they breed true....

Not unlikely about eba/ebr... Its not at all. No you really cant sell glofish... They are trademarked. People still will. But if you do get caught you can get in trouble. Ive actually seen this in lily strain creating. Especially the new full purple one. First full purple lily in existence. Came about late 2014 (I believe). I own one and got a loooong lecture abt how this better not show up anywhere. I got it in an auction at the world international lily and water gardening expo. It was held in my town in 2015. Its licensed to that water gardener in florida. Theres no police for that. But get caught by those in the know, and you wont like the fine or the loss of abilities to ship any flora/fauna. It has happened.
I don't know what it would create if you interbred the colors of glofish because i don't like them at all. So not a care in me abt it. I hate glofish but respect the proprietorial beneficial laws as those laws mean alot to those who take the pain staking time to create new strains of things. Not all are ethical. But the law protects blindly. I respect that.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom