Can more fish be added to my 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munger22391

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g tank with 5 African Cichlids all around 3"
-Yellow lab
-Blue Johanni
-Powder blue
-Dragon Blood Peacock
-Acei

2 Senegal Bichirs one 4" and the other 6-7"

and a ropefish about 10"

Could I add a couple more Cichlids without overcrowding them? Also I will be adding another bio-wheel power filter if I end up putting more fish in

also there is a short one minute video of my tank so you can see the layout and how the fish act now, they are always very active and happy :)

My 55g African Cichlid / Bichir Tank - YouTube

After watching your video, I would think you could add more. The only thing I would take into consideration is how large the fish will be once they are full grown and if you'd be willing to upgrade to a larger tank when that happens. Most people will tell you that the fish you have should be in a 50 gallon tank or larger. Seeing you have a 55 gal its right on the cusp of what is the base line for these fish. If you're going to add more filtration (most cichlids are pooping machines) and look at the possibility of getting a bigger tank (say a 75 gal) I say go for it. If you dont want to look at the possibility of a larger tank as these fish grow you may see some deaths as they weed out the weaker ones.

After watching your video, I would think you could add more. The only thing I would take into consideration is how large the fish will be once they are full grown and if you'd be willing to upgrade to a larger tank when that happens. Most people will tell you that the fish you have should be in a 50 gallon tank or larger. Seeing you have a 55 gal its right on the cusp of what is the base line for these fish. If you're going to add more filtration (most cichlids are pooping machines) and look at the possibility of getting a bigger tank (say a 75 gal) I say go for it. If you dont want to look at the possibility of a larger tank as these fish grow you may see some deaths as they weed out the weaker ones.

Yea I plan on getting a 75 or 100 gallon in about a year and turn my 55g into a saltwater tank, but Im getting another filter first for this tank then thinking of adding a couple more cichilds and a pair of synodontis catfish

I wouldn't add anymore. If you are going to go with a bigger tank in the near future...then just wait until you have the bigger tank. It might be a risk putting up them together now and maybe losing some due to territorial disputes. They aren't full grown yet either, so I would wait.

You could maybe add one more cichlid..other I probably wouldn't add anything else until you upgrade your tank. Pretty active bichir by the looks of it. Mine is very similar.

I got a good deal on a 90g tank yesterday but will be moving in 2 months so will be waiting until then to set it up. then I will get 5 more Cichlids and 2-3 s. angelicus (thanks bettaowner they look really cool)

Back
Top Bottom