Can my flounder be acclimated to full marine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

td3025

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have two tanks running, a 30 gallon brackish tank and a 70 gallon saltwater tank. My 30 gallon tank WAS intended for my green spotted puffer, but I had adopted my green spotted from a home where he was neglected and unfortunately he only made it a month before passing. Anyways, In addition to the puffer, I also had a very small, 2 inch flounder in my brackish tank. Now, I don't plan on getting another puffer, but I really do like my flounder. If I could somehow eventually get my flounder into my marine tank that would really be convenient rather than having a 30 gallon brackish tank I don't necessarily want just because I like one tiny fish in there.

I honestly don't know what kind of flounder he is, I asked questions at the shop when I got him and they weren't much help other than agreeing with me that he was a brackish fish. His label at the store was simply "flounder" and he was only 4.99, in a tank with some bumblee gobies.

Here are some pictures. Is he a type that could eventually be acclimated to saltwater? Or do you think it is unsafe?

IMG_7725.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

salinity of my brackish tank: 1.008
salinity of my salt: 1.026

Sorry, I have nothing that can help you. All I know is that I want one lol.

That's not a flounder its a hogchoker. Hogchokers have a more rounded face where as flounder are more pointed. They're very similar but a hogchoker is more of a brackish fish that live in estuaries and occasionally swim upstream. I don't think they can live in marine water. Just add some gobies, mollies, archer fish, mono or scat depending on tank size

Keep calm and rock on

That's not a flounder its a hogchoker. Hogchokers have a more rounded face where as flounder are more pointed. They're very similar but a hogchoker is more of a brackish fish that live in estuaries and occasionally swim upstream. I don't think they can live in marine water. Just add some gobies, mollies, archer fish, mono or scat depending on tank size

Keep calm and rock on

I figured that out shortly after posting this :p

It's only a 30 gal tank, so monos, archers, and scats are out of the picture :(
I may ask my friend who has a bunch of aquariums if they're interested in having another, lol. I love the little dude but I'm not sure if I want a 30 gal sitting here just because I like the one little fish. Thank you for your help!!

I believe they can live comfortably in a 10g so you can downsize your tank and keep him. You should ask your friend if they'd be willing to trade tanks then it'd workout for everyone

Keep calm and rock on

Like the others said there are a lot of other brackish fish like Mollies or even guppies! Just acclimate them slowly to it!

Bumblebee gobies are also cool and will work to, as will celebs rainbowfish! There are quite a few options for a smaller brackish tank.

Orange chromoides are another interesting and beautiful fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom