Can/should I get shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my girlfriend would really like some yellow or blue velvet shrimp. Will these guys be suitable for my tank? I have never kept any before.

45 gal soon to be planted tank already cycled, it's empty minus the substrate (flourite).

Potential stock list:

Pearl gourami - 1
Cardinal tetra - 12 or 15
Corydoras panda and or
Corydoras agassizii - 6 total
Threadfin rainbow - 6 (if any at all, may pick a different school. Suggestions? )

Will this setup work out? Will I have to get rid of the Cory's? If that's the case could I add more fish? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image-2280632084.jpg
    image-2280632084.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1973548031.jpg
    image-1973548031.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 63
Running two hob one rated for 55gal tank and the other is a marineland 350b

You might want to put some type of fine strainer on the intakes like new unwashed pantyhose to ensure no shrimplets are sucked in to the filter. But otherwise those filters should be fine.

How many do you think I would need? Should I add them later once the plants ha e grown larger?

I honestly think you would need 50+ to really get to see them often and enjoy them. It probably would be a good idea to add them once the plants are larger, to give them extra cover. Also, waiting would further establish your biofilter, which is great for shrimp.

So my girlfriend would really like some yellow or blue velvet shrimp. Will these guys be suitable for my tank? I have never kept any before.

45 gal soon to be planted tank already cycled, it's empty minus the substrate (flourite).

Potential stock list:

Pearl gourami - 1
Cardinal tetra - 12 or 15
Corydoras panda and or
Corydoras agassizii - 6 total
Threadfin rainbow - 6 (if any at all, may pick a different school. Suggestions? )

Will this setup work out? Will I have to get rid of the Cory's? If that's the case could I add more fish? Thanks in advance!

Dude that pearl gourami is gonna cost ALOT to feed if you get those shrimp. Like the cost of the shrimp lol
If you dk decide to try make sure you have lots of hiding places and let the tank mature.

Dude that pearl gourami is gonna cost ALOT to feed if you get those shrimp. Like the cost of the shrimp lol

With lots of cover, I don't think it will be quite that bad, however eliminating the gourami from the stocking plan probably would be a good move on your part if you want small shrimp.

With lots of cover, I don't think it will be quite that bad, however eliminating the gourami from the stocking plan probably would be a good move on your part if you want small shrimp.

Lol maybe not. Shrimp hide really well but a dedicated fish is also a good seeker....

I have shrimp glowlights, platies, cories, otos, and a betta living peacefully together.
Nobody bothers the shrimp.
I am not so sure about your gourami

What if I got some dwarfs instead? Or eliminated the gourami and went with another small school or something?

I have shrimp glowlights, platies, cories, otos, and a betta living peacefully together.
Nobody bothers the shrimp.
I am not so sure about your gourami

What kind of shrimp do you have? Larger shrimp like amanos, bamboo shrimp, or ghost shrimp generally do much better with fish.

I've had about 20 Ghost shrimp in my 20 Gallon tall.. A long with a Cory. 2 decent sized gouramis and other fish... And no problems.

Shrimp and quick lol. Get some bushy plants. I forget the name of plant I have in my tanks but they work great and my shrimps love Em. And they don't even need to be rooted, just float Em. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom