Can someone explain bioloads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

How can you tell if your bio-overloaded? I have been seeing that word and know little about it.

Basically, bioload is the ratio of fish you have in your tank to the total water volume of your tank. I have seen various guidelines, but the one I stick to is 1 inch of fish lenght, minus the tail, for each 2 gallons of water in the tank. Some people are able to add more fishes in their display tank by adding more water volume to their systems. Hence the "need" to have large sumps. ;) HTH

Cheers,

I use it as how the fish affect the cycle. If the amount of bacteria can have ammonia and nitrites gone before they even show up in testable levels than the bioload is good. If the cycle is being stalled because the ammonia and nitrites being produced are too much to break down, then you are overloaded. I think there is a specific timelimit that the bacteria is supposed to clear the waste in in order to have a proper bioload, but for me you are overloaded if anything other than nitrates tests positive.

I just use the space rule as an extra to the bioload. You need to have proper space+proper bioload.

and some fish, like goldfish, produce more waste than other fish, like tetra...so golfish need even more volume per inch of fish.

Also, you can have an ok bioload, but an over crowded tank...and, an uncrowded tank that's got too high a bio-load.

Ok, I just ran some tests and I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Shouldn't I have nitrates tho? The vial is yellow, I thought you were supposed to have some for plants.

EDIT
Ok, I got it, I found this. Ammonia and nitrite are converted into nitrate. High nitrate levels indicate buildups of fish waste and organic compounds which could lead to fish disease. It can also be a source for nitrogen causing algae blooms. So my low nitrate level is a good thing. My bacteria and plants are doing a good job and I am not bio-overloaded.

I forgot about the nitrate paper in the a/p test kit. Thats where I got the info from. Thanx for the help!

Back
Top Bottom