Can someone identify the sex of my Platies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keedee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally finished cycling my tank! It took a month and a half but I'm so happy to have it done and have a healthy place to keep my fish.

I decided to get some platies but I'm not really too sure how to know if they are male or female. I tried googling it but was still not completely sure. I was hoping some of the helpful people here could give me a hand? Thanks!

((Hopefully my attachments worked))

Attachments

• IMG_2453[2].jpg
    IMG_2453[2].jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2456[1].jpg
    IMG_2456[1].jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2454[1].jpg
    IMG_2454[1].jpg
    138 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2449[1].jpg
    IMG_2449[1].jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 55
I have kept some platies before and the first two and last pictures look like females and the third picture looks like a male as I can see what looks like its gonopodium which is like a pointed fin and while the female platies just have a regular fin. Hopefully you can see it in this picture. the first platy is the male while the second one is the female and u can see the third fin I was talking about. How ever I cant be a 100 percent sure about the third picture maybe you can get another picture at different angles

Attachments

• platties gender.gif
    platties gender.gif
    37.4 KB · Views: 66
That's a a really helpful picture! I'll see if I can get another picture of the third guy and upload it.

He's one of the shy ones, it was a little hard to get a good angle but seeing him swim around I think it looks like the male picture you posted.

Attachments

• IMG_2467[1].jpg
    IMG_2467[1].jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2465[1].jpg
    IMG_2465[1].jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 56
Based on that picture I would say with out a doubt that's a male as you can See the gonopodium (correct me if Iam wrong anyone else) and if he starts chasing around the other females and nipping at their anal fins it's a male..

Back
Top Bottom