Can someone please ID this for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HermanTurnip

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! A new batch of creatures have decided to call my tank home. I'm not sure if they're a positive addition. I can't find any info about them on the net. They look like small clear tubes, about a quarter of an inch long. They don't appear to move.

I think they might have spawned off of three slightly larger, fatter and more active versions of themselves that apparently came with my live rock or sand. The larger ones are still only a quarter of an inch long, but are fatter and open and close when they feel like it. All of these things are attached to my live rock. My hermit crabs have walked through them, but don't eat 'em. They don't appear to be doing any harm. I'm just not sure if they're going to be a problem in the future.

Any ideas?

P.S. Glad to find a community where things appear to be pretty laid back. Haven't encountered any hostile posts in my readings so far. Nice to see! I've had my nano reef (3 gal) for 4 months now and am having a blast with it. It's my first saltwater tank, and have had no probs so far thanks to research, research, research before taking the plunge. Goes to show that even a newbie can keep a successful saltwater nano, even if he still won't admit what he's done to the people at the fish store...I tell them it's my first 20 gallon to avoid any hassle and eye-rolling :wink:

The pictures are rather small and I cannot make them out. By your description though, they sound like they might be a type of tunicate. Try looking >>here<<

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve...you nailed it. Found the following page:

http://depts.washington.edu/fhlk12/StudentProjects/Ciona.html

My new reef inhabitants look a bit more attractive than these pics
show them to be, but this is them.

acmereef.com also has a nice quick writeup on these little guys.
I'm currently looking up other sites and reading up on them. Thanks
for steering me in the right direction. It's nice to see new life in
my little tank :D

-HermanTurnip

lol i did the same when i started my tank! told the guy at The Lfs my tank was a 55!

Back
Top Bottom