Can these fish be tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slow-dagger

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 guppies 2baby Cory catfish 2 ghost shrimp and a snail will the tiger barbs I'm getting will they be to aggressive

image-2046231446.jpg

I plan on getting 4 baby tiger barbs

You can usually be a bit leniant with school numbers with a lot of schooling fish but Tiger Barbs are aggressive when not kept in good numbers. I'd say no less than 8 to be on the safe side, 4 wouldn't be enough. Tigers are quite often fin nippers and if you have male guppies their tails will be just too tempting for the tigers to ignore. Especially as you have little cover in there there will be no relief for stressed fish. I'd drop the tiger barbs and go for somethng less aggressive and nippy.

Yup, unless you can at least double the numbers of the tiger barbs I'd pass on them for sure, especially with guppies in the tank too. How about a nice peaceful tetra species instead?

What is the tank size? The tiger barbs may be to aggressive for the guppies if kept in a small group. I would honestly drop the tiger barbs, get more guppies and corys both like to schoo,l and if bio-load permits get more shrimp. Again that is my opinion.

The Tigers will probably be okay to start of with until they get bigger, then the rest of the tank will be in trouble. Even in bigger numbers Tigers sometimes just can't stop nipping, I would say the Guppies would end up without a tail pretty quickly and even the shrimp might be in trouble as there is not much cover in the tank.

+1 on Borderlesscott. You could look into a school or small tetras or rasboras. That would work great.

Borderlesscott said:
The Tigers will probably be okay to start of with until they get bigger, then the rest of the tank will be in trouble. Even in bigger numbers Tigers sometimes just can't stop nipping, I would say the Guppies would end up without a tail pretty quickly and even the shrimp might be in trouble as there is not much cover in the tank.

I have a 20 gallon stored in the shed so I'll get it when they get bigger

I think even in a 20g they will still be nippy tbh. The reason schooling species need those numbers is because to them, it's safety in numbers. I really wouldn't attempt them with anything with flashy tails even Lyre tailed mollies are fancy enough for a tiger to take a nice chunk out of. There are some lovely looking tetras that are not the slimline shaped, my personal favourite is the black skirt and they are less nippy.

AnabantoidLover said:
I think even in a 20g they will still be nippy tbh. The reason schooling species need those numbers is because to them, it's safety in numbers. I really wouldn't attempt them with anything with flashy tails even Lyre tailed mollies are fancy enough for a tiger to take a nice chunk out of. There are some lovely looking tetras that are not the slimline shaped, my personal favourite is the black skirt and they are less nippy.

Yea I got 2 angel now I don't need the tigers

I'd watch the smaller fish and shrimp with the angels and they need at least 5gallon and lots of height as they get very big quite quickly.

What size tank is this??

So is your stock currently - 2 angels, 2 cories, 2 guppies and some shrimp?

You really should up that cory school, they are shoaling fish and do best in groups of 4 or more at least.

tamtam said:
What size tank is this??

So is your stock currently - 2 angels, 2 cories, 2 guppies and some shrimp?

You really should up that cory school, they are shoaling fish and do best in groups of 4 or more at least.

Lots of poeple don't rely school them and bides mine are active and do fish stuff

Tank looks small up the cories then no more fish

Lots of poeple don't rely school them and bides mine are active and do fish stuff

:confused: of course they do fish stuff, they are fish. Just because they are active doesn't mean they are happy or in the set up they should be in. People that keep goldies in tiny tanks say their fish are happy and fine too until one day they die because of stunted growth 10 years less than their average life span.

These numbers exist for a reason, it's always best to try and give your fish as close to all of their needs as you can and shoaling is one of their needs. If you are not committed to meeting the needs than why even have them? Why not get rid of them and get a singleton like an appropriate pleco.

You also never mentioned the actual size of your tank. If you have angels in there anything less than 40-50 gallons is not suitable for a pair of angels. Not to mention guppies are probably not the best tank mates.

Researching what your fish need before purchasing them is a must. They can't speak and let us know if they are not happy. People on here are giving you suggestions on what is best for you fish. Several people had mentioned the cories needing more space.

tamtam said:
:confused: of course they do fish stuff, they are fish. Just because they are active doesn't mean they are happy or in the set up they should be in. People that keep goldies in tiny tanks say their fish are happy and fine too until one day they die because of stunted growth 10 years less than their average life span.

These numbers exist for a reason, it's always best to try and give your fish as close to all of their needs as you can and shoaling is one of their needs. If you are not committed to meeting the needs than why even have them? Why not get rid of them and get a singleton like an appropriate pleco.

You also never mentioned the actual size of your tank. If you have angels in there anything less than 40-50 gallons is not suitable for a pair of angels. Not to mention guppies are probably not the best tank mates.

Researching what your fish need before purchasing them is a must. They can't speak and let us know if they are not happy. People on here are giving you suggestions on what is best for you fish. Several people had mentioned the cories needing more space.

I rely don't don't read all that but I read the important stuff my Cory cats look full of energy they don't seem stressed

I rely don't don't read all that but I read the important stuff my Cory cats look full of energy they don't seem stressed

why even bother posting if you aren't going to read the info?? Why even bother asking questions if you aren't going to listen to all the great advice people are giving you?

You have a 10 gallon tank with 2 angels, 2 cories and 2 guppies in it! Even if you pull this 20 gallon tank out of storage and set it up that's not enough for your angels. They are going to need a 40-50 gallon tank for the 2 of them.

What happened to your betta that was in there? Did you rehome him as well when you rehomed the goldies you had in there?

You need to RESEARCH your fish needs and meet them. Corys and angels do not belong in 10 gallon tanks.

tamtam said:
why even bother posting if you aren't going to read the info?? Why even bother asking questions if you aren't going to listen to all the great advice people are giving you?

You have a 10 gallon tank with 2 angels, 2 cories and 2 guppies in it! Even if you pull this 20 gallon tank out of storage and set it up that's not enough for your angels. They are going to need a 40-50 gallon tank for the 2 of them.

What happened to your betta that was in there? Did you rehome him as well when you rehomed the goldies you had in there?

You need to RESEARCH your fish needs and meet them. Corys and angels do not belong in 10 gallon tanks.

Yes I gave them to a petshop

Back
Top Bottom