Can you have a Fish Tank in Garage or Basement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are people successfully able to set up and maintain a fish tank in an area like a garage or basement that is susceptable to seasonal temperature changes

Any personal success stories?

Check out threads: my dream garage, where do you keep your tanks and lastly check out our new fish room. 3 separete threads.

Wow, Thanks. So it's possible. But how do you do it with the temperature in the winter?

If its cold maybe insulation will do it since all the tanks will be radiating heat. There is a rule for the amount of watts you need heater wise depending on the difference between ambient temperature and tank temperature.

If the difference is too big you might have to consider another form of heating for a garage. Now for a basement I guess insulating the walls would be enough, but lets see what others have to say. :)

Not personal experience but I know of someone who did it. They never had a problem other than getting power to the garage!
There garage was a proper building type though?!

andresdeo said:
If its cold maybe insulation will do it since all the tanks will be radiating heat. There is a rule for the amount of watts you need heater wise depending on the difference between ambient temperature and tank temperature.

If the difference is too big you might have to consider another form of heating for a garage. Now for a basement I guess insulating the walls would be enough, but lets see what others have to say. :)

Basements are usually colder than outside! At least the one in my old house was! :(
There usually pretty damp and horrible to be in. It would be better to turn it into a proper room first, insulation, boards and a bit of damp proof paint and White paint to look pretty :)

I had a 10 gallon in my half-finished basement. I live in PA, so it gets pretty cold in the winter. The heater has always kept the temps up, so there was no problems. Just try to remember "out of sight, out of mind." I had stopped doing weekly water changes so I upgraded to a 20 g in my bedroom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom