Can you have a planted tank with LEDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I may have finally found a tank I like that's bigger...

But, it uses LEDs. I do not plan on using ferts or CO2, so can I have a planted tank with LEDs?

I had a leg marine land hood on my tank for a while some of the plants did grow and some didn't grow but didn't melt either

I ended up going back to the stock hood with a ge plant bulb from Walmart and now they are all growing

How big is your tank? How deep? What plants did you want to try?

I had a leg marine land hood on my tank for a while some of the plants did grow and some didn't grow but didn't melt either

I ended up going back to the stock hood with a ge plant bulb from Walmart and now they are all growing

How big is your tank? How deep? What plants did you want to try?

I currently have a 6.6G aquarium with a florescent bulb, but I want to upgrade to a 20-29G tank. I had settled on the perfect tank and then realized it had LEDs in the hood and I don't know how good those are for low-light plants. I plan on planting/keeping anubias, java fern, hornwort, amazon sword, moss balls, etc.

I currently have a 6.6G aquarium with a florescent bulb, but I want to upgrade to a 20-29G tank. I had settled on the perfect tank and then realized it had LEDs in the hood and I don't know how good those are for low-light plants. I plan on planting/keeping anubias, java fern, hornwort, amazon sword, moss balls, etc.

In my 75gal I have two 17inch marineland hidden LED's clipped to the front and one 36inch single bright LED and I'm able to get new growth on my Anubias, Crypts and even Amazon sword. Though LED's don't have the punch T5's do, for low light plants, they can do the job.

This is the tank I was all set on, and then I wondered how well my plants would do in there with LEDs: Marineland® BioWheel® LED Aquarium Kit - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart

Your probably looking at white and blue 0.06watt LED's ... Same wattage as my lights. It should work as long as you stay with low light low maintenance plants.
If you want to add additional LED's you could consider adding hidden LED's. marineland did come out with a plant specific LED fixture, but there's no way this kit has it... Judging by the price of the kit.

Looks like a nice enough kit ... Just stick with low light plants and ferts.

Dollar for dollar, fluorescent lights, including T8, T5, and T5HO, all out out more light than LEDs. They're great for novelty factor, but for growing plants there are simply better alternatives. They work though, if that's what you have.

Dollar for dollar, fluorescent lights, including T8, T5, and T5HO, all out out more light than LEDs. They're great for novelty factor, but for growing plants there are simply better alternatives. They work though, if that's what you have.
This is what I'm leaning towards. Thank you for your help.

Those 6.6g are pretty squat tanks, so fluorescents are going to be plenty of light for most of the plants you have listed. One thing that should be said though is that a amazon sword is not going to fit into a tank that small.

Those 6.6g are pretty squat tanks, so fluorescents are going to be plenty of light for most of the plants you have listed. One thing that should be said though is that a amazon sword is not going to fit into a tank that small.
It fits now. :) But I'm hoping to upgrade my tank soon. :)

Hmmm. I'm still wondering about this. Two of my plants, even after one day in their new tank, look awful. They developed these spots and are kinda see-through. I don't know that I could blame that on the lights, but I wonder what's happening (also, I cannot remember the name of these plants!!!).

photo%25203.JPG

That might just be normal crypt melt.

But yea, that's a species of cryptocoryne, likely of the wendtii variety.

That might just be normal crypt melt.

But yea, that's a species of cryptocoryne, likely of the wendtii variety.

Thank you for the ID. I knew I bought crypts, but couldn't remember which was which.

So, the melting? Why is this happening? I have root tabs in and this is after only 24 hours!

24 hours after what? Crypts have an obnoxious tendency to shed many of their leaves after being bothered, either by being moved, disturbing their roots (such as by planting/replanting), or sometimes errant water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom