Can you have too much water movement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omcnair

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m currently running a 1250 Gallon/Hr pump on a 72 gallon (soon to be reef tank).
I just added a few damsels to the tank and they really showed the effects of some very strong water movement. Is there such a thing as too much water movement? Will it have a negative effect on corals?

PS – I’m running a few things in line that might slow water movement a bit like an Ocean Clear filter and UV Sterilizer. I’m also running the pump and everything else (sump, etc) out of the basement. So the water is being pumped up about 9 ft or so before returning to the tank - if that makes any difference.

Is the pump 1250gph before or after the 9+ ft of head pressure? Can you have two much movement?? Not IMO, My tank has a flow rate of approx 35X per hour. You do not want turbulence (accept maybe occasionally) you just want movement. You should try to diffuse the water coming out of the return by splitting it to two returns or using a spray bar or judicious place ment of LR. IMO, you wnat the flow rate you have...maybe more, but you don't want to your fish to battle monsoon currents or the turbulence to strip the flesh off your corals.

I'm just guessing that much head would cut the pump output nearly in half. Depends on whether it is a pressure rated pump. What kind of pump are you using (brand-model)? I had 300gph in a 10g and everything was happy. Now have about 400gph in a 20g...same thing...everything happy so far.
Logan J

Once I drank one of those liter size Cokes. Man, talk about too much water movement... 8O

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom